Putting weight on a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
How would you recommend bulking up a rabbit that has lost weight due to illness, loss of appetite, etc?

During Peanut's initial bout with head tilt, she stopped eating and had to be hand-fed for over a week. She dropped over 1/4 pound (she's only a 5 pound rabbit to begin with). She still hasn't gained it back, and given that she's an older bun, the vet said he'd really like to see her put some weight back on. Her spine is very
easily felt, and her ribs can be felt with light pressure.

My other concern is that Rex shares meals with her, and I definitely don't need him to gain any more weight ;)

If she's not on them already, maybe you could put her on alfalfa pellets. Although that would require that you separate them at meal time.

Dry oatmeal will add weight to her and they love it.

Roger L

Hello - there is a post recently on the forum about Nutri-cal - which is a high calorie kind of gel for adding weight or recently ill bunnies - Have not used it myself, so maybe a little research on nutri-cal is needed too.

hope this helps

xx

Uncooked rolled oats can be give to a bun but only in moderate quantities, especially if the oats are being newly introduced. They are also recommended for soft stools. Banana will also add weight, but again in moderation.

The big problem I had with adding oats to add weight was that I could not feed enough to actually have the rabbit put on weight. My doe would cut back on pellets and eat all the oats (and I was not even giving a table spoon). She in turn lost weight.

I would more likely suggest black oil sunflower seeds, you can feed less and still have them add weight.

Other than that, it's nearly impossible to have one add weight and one not unless you separate them. I agree that you should probably separate them at feeding time and try to give her Alfalfa.

Latest posts

Back