Pushing X pen?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravishing

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Penny has an X pen in the shape of an octagon connected to her cage and every now and then she'll push the panels and "re-shape" it and make a lot of noise. I really don't want her to do this.

My first inclination is to hop into the X pen, clap, and say NO and then place her in the cage BUT.. then that means she wins and she'll have won my attention by making a mess & a racket! I don't want to re-enforce her behavior.

Any tips on how I can teach her to not do this?

Also, are there any other ways the I can teach her to politely ask for my attention? Perhaps a particular toy that makes a certain noise or "ding" that will make me come to her?

Wow, I sound like a true bunny slave!

At your service Penelopy!

P.S: She's definitely not neglected and always has her necessities =) Don't worry! This is just a case of "I wanna be with mommy 24/7!!"

:big wink:

When my rabbit does this I just use heavy things to block it so she can't push. Sometimes they do it for our attention and sometimes they do it because they're bored and came up with a new activity. I haven't had luck with trying to train Hannah not to do it (and she's generally trainable) so I just block her now.

Becky likes to rearrange the fence too, but I just let her do it since it doens't bother me. She does know that if she rings the bell on her Kabob toy I will come over to see what she wants as long as it is after my allarm clock goes off. Any noise she makes earlier was ignored and I wouldn't give her breakfast any earlier. She had to be quiet before I would feed her. She learned in just a couple mornings. Now in the evening she will ring her bell if she wants to run around and I open the door. Not that she's spoiled or anything. :)

This use to bother me as well but that was because Shino would lift the X-pen with his nose and let it drop to the floor. By ignoring him when he did it I was able to get him to stop in a very short time. If Your rabbit isn't getting the desired results She'll move on to something else. try ringing a bell attached to a specific toy every time you give her attention. Eventually she might learn to ring the bell as Laura's rabbit has done.

Mr Bighead has an x-pen outside of his dog crate home (until he is litter-trained and bonded) to act as a fence. Since Ms Bun Poopers and Mr Bighead are in the same room, Ms Buns will try to push/pull at the fence. I've placed some heavy objects in to make sure it stays in place, but Ms Buns will dig and scratch at it anyway.

Latest posts

Back