Purina

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momto3boys

Reaction score
So I'm seriously thinking about switching my boys to Purina food, just for the simple reason Oxbow is just too expensive, 50lbs is $69.99 plus taxes plus shipping which is another $40.00 so it's way over $100.00 for 50lbs of food. Now I can get it 3 hrs away but I have to special order itand then have my Mom bring it up, she doesn't come up much in Winter so sometimes I could have it shipped, sometimes I could have Mom pick it up...either way it's uber expensive.

Now I've gone through all the food threads on here and ALOT of people feed Purina Foods...and Im thinking about switching, I know I can get Purina locally.

However I don't know which Purina to feed....

Some feed green bag, some feed blue bag and some feed fiber3.

Which one do you feed and WHY?

I am not sure if you can get Purina in Canada. You can check their website to see if it has changed, but you might find that you can't go to a store and buy it. There are some stores that are willing to special order feeds, so you can check that out.

Most feed stores do carry good local brands of rabbit food. You can try calling them to ask what brand (or manufacturers) they carry and see if you can find out any info on it. There are good brands out there.

Fibre3 = it has no corn and its got a higher fiber content...and others recomended it :)

my feed store specially orders it for me... we pay 17.00 for a 50lb bag..i know others on here in dif states get it cheaper but i have no prob paying this price compared to Oxbows pricing..i ziplock bag all of the pellets and put them in the freezer...make sure u put a couple baking sodas in ur freezer too....unless of course u want the ice to taste kinda like foraging products...:)

Well hmmmmm maybe I can't then....
I know a feed store close by (like an hr) sells Purina products, they have the chinchilla food, I think it's called Chin Chow Checkers and I was told it was put out by Purina Mills but when I go to the Purina Mills site they have Mazuri listed as their exotics feed..

I know they sell Purina Rabbit food but they get it in bulk, then bag it seperately, I will call tomorrow (since it's 11pm here) to see what exactly they can get.
I know I can get Martin's no problem and I know Martin's is alot cheaper then Oxbow so maybe I'll just go that route.

I just can't justify spending that much money on pellets when there is other good quality for a cheaper price.

I feed the Purina Blue bag (show) to Muppet. 50 lbs for $15 a our local co-op. I believe it is alfalfa which is what young flemmies should be having anyhow.

I prefer blue or green bag, and have had especially excellent results on the green bag with both my pet and show bunnies.

I've heard that some people really like Fibre 3 but have also heard of a lot of issues with it, so that's not one I readily recommend. Worth trying though if you want to.

Julie what kinda probs have u heard about the fibre3?? cuz i was using just the green back but im on my 3rd 50lb bag of fibre 3..no probs so far...tell me what uve heard so i can make sure to keep my eyes open..

Well Kate, you're right...can't get it here.

I'll probably end up keeping them on Oxbow, even though it's stupid expensive.
Co-op has a feed that they mill themselves but didn't know the ingredients so I emailed the milling company to see if they had the list...

There's also one called Country Blend, don't know anything about it.
Or Martin's, but really you get 1 lb more for $5.00 less, I guess it's a savings but not a huge one, we'll see.

Flash Gordon wrote:
Julie what kinda probs have u heard about the fibre3?? cuz i was using just the green back but im on my 3rd 50lb bag of fibre 3..no probs so far...tell me what uve heard so i can make sure to keep my eyes open..
I sort of talked about it in the oter two Purina posts if you want to check those out. The bottom line is that it wasn't doing so well as a performance feed (for breeding or show). But I think it would probably be a good breed for pet rabbits, so if it is working for you there is nothing to worry about. :) As long as your rabbits stay in good condition with shiny, sleek coats, all is well!

I love green bag too though so I'd say whatever is cheapest is fine to go with. I've really liked each Purina formula I have tried (blue bag and green bag).

Latest posts

Back