Pumpkin?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezeta

Reaction score
I'm having a Halloween party this Sat and I have got some pumpkins ready to carve out, normally I just throw the fruit away but I was wondering ifanyone knowsif it would be safe to give to Jess?

lagadvocate wrote:
Hi!, I actually just saw this question on another thread the other day:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=29060&forum_id=48

You can tell it's definitely pumpkin carvin' time!!:biggrin2:

HI, I am the one who posted the question the other day. I never really did get an answer as toif they can eat raw pumpkin or not so I just didn't give it to her. My daughter checked on her guinea pig forum and they said that it is fine for piggies but I don't know about buns.

Sorry, this doesn't really help. Maybe somebody who knows more about pumpkin will see this today.

Joy

Hmm I just had a look on google and it seems to be mixed vies. Some say they can eat the seeds, some not some say they can eat the fruit part others not...I don't think anyone really knows, were prob best just sticking to greens , I think my girl would prefer a bit of bannana anyways hehe

Thanks for your help though. :D

Hi,

Fresh pumpkin fruit is very safe for rabbits. Don't feed the seeds. Pumpkin is used quite a bit to feed sick rabbits. It is high in nutrition and in fiber. We have fed lots of pumpkin to rabbits around here. Since the real pumpkin is hard to find most of the year, we used the fresh canned pumpkin...not the pie filling...the fresh canned pumpkin. As with anything, don't overdo it. Most rabbits eagerly eat pumpkin. We keep a can on hand all the times as it is very helpful in GI events.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
Hi,

Fresh pumpkin fruit is very safe for rabbits. Don't feed the seeds. Pumpkin is used quite a bit to feed sick rabbits. It is high in nutrition and in fiber. We have fed lots of pumpkin to rabbits around here. Since the real pumpkin is hard to find most of the year, we used the fresh canned pumpkin...not the pie filling...the fresh canned pumpkin. As with anything, don't overdo it. Most rabbits eagerly eat pumpkin. We keep a can on hand all the times as it is very helpful in GI events.

Randy

Randy,

So they can have fresh RAW pumpkin it's just that other than this time of years it's not available so most people feed canned. RIGHT? Just trying to gets my facts straight. LOL

Joy

As Randy mentioned - don't overdo new foods or make any sudden diet changes.

Fresh pumpkin is lower in carbs and sugars than carrots, apples or bananas, so is a better choice for a healthy treat.

Pam

Hmmm..... Pumpkins will be on sale now, too... Would the carving pumpkins be ok, or should I get the pie pumpkins? Does it matter?

Latest posts

Back