pulling up carpet fibers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosebunny

Reaction score
:XI feel like this, and this:bangheadwhen I see Alona pulling out the carpet fibers whenever we let her out of her cage. We have scolded her, while we have 'caught' her 'in the act' (very important), and also tried to substitute willow branches for a substitute to bite. She REALLY likes to bite...my goodness!!! She will take a huge piece of wood (a 27"x 2") and bite it, and fling it around like she's a WWF fighter. My goodness!! What a complete different temperment than my dear, sweet little lop, Thor :rip: Does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions, on how to put this behaviour to extinction? Thanks. Our carpet is looking pretty bad. I want to stop this immediately, and the right way. I'll try to take pictures, and post, when I can do so. Thanks.

If she keeps going after a specific area, clean it really well in case she's smelling something interesting there. Then cover the spot with something.

Keep a very close eye on her, and every time she goes to chew the carpet say "no" in a stern, sharp voice. Clap your hands or thump the floor to get her attention at the same time. If this doesn't stop her, shoo her away. If she keeps coming back to chew, try squirting her with water when you say no.

Also, make sure you're giving her a lot of toys to play with. Sounds like she loves to play. Give her things big and small to toss, cardboard boxes and telephone books to dig and shred, etc. And change them around sometimes so she has new things to explore, or the boxes are in different places and she has to practice running through them all over again.

:)Yes, we've cleaned and covered the area with something. We've cleaned with a carpet cleaner; do you have any other suggestions? Just wondering. We've covered the area as well...she seems to enjoy moving the 'coverings' away (the overturned egg cartons; coke/soda water 12 can cardboard boxes, etc.). I feel this bunny is a 'high maintenance' rabbit, at least in comparison to our beloved lop, Thor. This bunny seems to require a fair bit more 'play' stimulation (as you've mentioned). We have noticed this right away. She is also such a huge 'chewer' or 'biter'. She is willing to be hugged, or cuddled, but usually only on her terms. (this leads me to see that she is like an 'alpha' purebreed rabbit-so demonstrative.). This is why I am seeking more info on this breed. Thanks for your helpful suggestions, and I shall keep you posted.

Latest posts

Back