Pull out pans in cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4kr

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been a topic before, just let me know what the link is. Our new barn or bun house is almost done and I was considering getting the flush kleen system that didn't require any litter changing, but it is very very expensive and now just considering pull out pans.

So what do you use in the pans? How often do you change them? Use any additives like lime or baking soda?

Anyone have the flush kleen system or does everyone do pans?

Thanks!!

We change once a week and use the pellets. I love them and they last longer and no smell yet so I cant complain. So pans that pull out from underneith our stack cages.

Hmm..I've done the pellets before and it seems by day 2 they absorb the urine so much that the pellets overflow the side of the pan. Do you just barley put a few in the pan or put a layer of an inch deep?

U can either use puppy pads at the bottum or newspaper ad then put enouth to cover with an inch of pellets. They mostly pee in corners. You want just enough to soak but not run over the side.

I use newspaper to line the pan and yesterday's news litter. We clean them every Wednesday and Sunday. On Sunday we disinfect with bleach and vinegar. Not all our rabbits are on bi-order and that urine smells horrible if we don't clean it every other day.

We would put a handful of pine shavings, kiln dried and sifted to remove dust, in the corners where the rabbits pee.

Every couple of days we would scoop out the pans with plastic dust pans and put into a bucket for easier disposal.

After scooping out the poop the pans are much easier to handle when taking out to the yard for a quick cleaning with the hose.

Have a good day!

We get really bad about our but clean them out once or twice a month. Our pans are outside though so the smell isnt really a bother. We use puppy pads (2) and this stuff called StallDry around the edges and in the corners it helps absorb the urine. Then lightly spread the wooden pellets. Probably 2 or 3 scoops. Definitely not 1in but barely one layer. Trying to put a little more in each corner. My indoor one i need to change every week

We use kiln dried pine. We have the pullout pans below and each hutch has a corner pan which gets the most use by far. We clean the corner pans daily and the big pullout pans once a month--also do some spot cleaning on them as needed.

We use puppy pads also and have just started using rabbit liners like they make for cat litter boxes. Hope is for sure a corner pee'r and it's hard to keep it contained. Now I put a handful of shavings in her pee corner to help w/ the splash. Her trays are dumped every other day or the smell in the house is horrid.

We use kiln dried shavings, and also wood pellets. I try to use a very thin layer, but my sister puts in quite a bit. lol.
We fill the whole bottom of the pan - isn't really needed, but I don't know if we could stick to just putting shavings/pellets is in the wet areas only. :/

Emily

SNM wrote:
I use newspaper to line the pan and yesterday's news litter. We clean them every Wednesday and Sunday. On Sunday we disinfect with bleach and vinegar. Not all our rabbits are on bi-order and that urine smells horrible if we don't clean it every other day.
What is this 'bi-order" stuff that you use? You got my interest.....

You can order it at bunnyrabbit.com It really works but can be expensive if you have a lot of rabbits.

It works!!!!!!!!!! They have it at all the local pet stores. It's expensive, but it's worth it. The main problem with rabbitries is ventalation and smell. The amonia rabbit urine smell is very damaging the the buns

I think the cheapest place to get it is at KW cages or bass equip in bulk. Dont' take my word for it, I'm not sure

In my pull out trays I use the pine pellet bedding made for horses, one brand name is Equine Fresh, the Southern States chain has their own brand -- Equine Fresh seems to reduce the odor better but Southern States is a little cheaper. I've also used Woody Pet, but it was pretty dusty.

I use enough pellets to just cover the bottom of the tray -- on Wednesday I clean the trays with bleach solution and put in new bedding, on Saturday and Monday I stir the bedding around so the wet gets mixed with the dry, that seems to be the secret to odor free trays.

Back