Psycho bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eve

Reaction score
Every once in a while, my bunny appears to have some sort of hyperactive fit. He will start jumping up onto the second platform in his cage and back down non-stop for a couple of minutes at top speed. Then he starts jumping in and out of his cage in the same manner.

Is this normal play behaviour or is something wrong? I am just a bit concerned as at the speed at which he does this it looks as though he could hurt himself.

Joe, my bunny, does that as well. Well,vsomething similar to that. He charges into his cage, charges out, runs around it about 5 times, charges in, goes to top level, comes down again and runs around 5 more times. He is a really funny bun. I'm also wondering if that is normal.

When he does that, you should probably let himout of the cage so he has more room to run around, and so he doesn'taccidentally run into something and hurt himself.

Eve wrote:
Everyonce in a while, my bunny appears to have some sort of hyper activefit. He will start jumping up onto the second platform in his cage andback down non stop for a couple of minutes at top speed. Then he startsjumping in and out of his cage in the same manner.

Is this normal play behaviour or is something wrong? I am just a bitconcerned as at the speed at which he does this it looks as though hecould hurt himself.
Sounds like the cage version of the ever popular 'Bunny 500'.

If there's a particular time of day he does it, is it possible to give him some outside play time around then?

He shouldn't hurt himself.Mine arenotalways as accurate as I'd like but so far, nocollisions. Just don't move anything around!

SAS

Just be sure he is not being freightened bysomething. One of my rabbits is scarred of plastic bags adnwill do that. The other could care less, but just the soundof a plasic bag sends him into a panic.

ed

edwinf8936 wrote:
Just be sure he is not being freightened bysomething. One of my rabbits is scarred of plastic bags adnwill do that. The other could care less, but just the soundof a plasic bag sends him into a panic.

ed
Good point, Ed!

I remember somebody talking about their indoor bunnies lying flat intheir cages obviously terrorized by something, which turned out to be abig fastbird of prey overhead (ie: a ceiling fanturned onto high). Someone elseleft a big greengarbage bag in the bunny room, caused all kinds ofpanic.Then there was aFlemish Giant herethat ended up with a concussion after sensing or seeing anopossum on the porch and panicking in his cage.:shock:

SAS

When I had Zatch - he used to do this in themornings around 5 or 6 am. I'm not sure if he still does itfor Jenniblu or not... He would also do a modified version ofit when he was waiting for his food - but it was more of a dancing inplace than running all around - but oh, how his legs would move....

Peg

For a few months, every morning when ilet Snowy Joey out, he would run round his cage about 5 times, then runthe other way. We thought it was really cute!! Recently he stoppeddoing that lol. We think he stopped because he realized whatever hedoes we will still love him.

~ Anneliese

hehehe,i think it is just normal behaviour for a silly bunny.

my bunnies are free range,they dont have a cage at all and i leave theback door open so they have access to the backyard all day when i amhome,and the bunnies zoom all around the backyard then they flyinside,i also have lino through the house,so when they race inside theyzoom down the hallway and sit on their but and go for a slide,they cando this on going for about half hour,zooming around the backyard,zoomaround inside,then zoom back outside again,and then it starts all overagain,it is just amazing just to watch them,they can change theirdirections in a split second,i just look at them and say "crazy bunnyalert"

I think this is perfectly normal. Allthe bunnies I have ever had have done things likethat. Nora shoots around so fast sometimes that sheruns into things and gives herself a fright and shoots off in the otherdirection. I was worried at first maybe she couldn't see well but hereyes are fine and she just gets overexcited. In my experience allbunnies are a little crazy!

In fact, Floppy's been bouncing around like awild man all morning. We took the tree down yestersday, sothere's lots of room for running.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm glad tohear this is normal. My bun mainly does this in the morning so I'lltake SAS's advice and try give him some outside play time in themornings aswell.

Hi, my lop has running, flipping, binking fits frequently too. When she incessently circles my feet, I know she loves me!

The point about panic is a good one. A happy rabbit navigates at top speed with ease, and it's nothing to worry about. But if a rabbit goes into panic mode, they can get seriously hurt. You can tell the difference between panic and fun: when it's a fear response, he will flatten hishindquarters, ears erect and head up. He may quiver a bit, then will take off at top speed. He won't respond to voices, and will run blindly, then stop abruptly in the same position, then run again. His eyes will be wide and wild-looking, with no recognition.

A happy rabbit will zoom around, in and out of things, with eyes normal and ears either up or flat back. Often the racing will be interspersed with twitchy "binkies" or aerial maneuvers.

I've seen both, and the first one scares the livin' out of me. Bub used to have a problem with crows, and panicked every time he heard one. The most important thing was NOT to chase him, but to kneel down and call his name over and over in a high, gentle voice until something penetrated his little brain. He was known to hit his head and crash into things, even though his eyesight is normal--he was just beyond rational thought.

Your case sounds like classic happy bunny, but I just thought I'd add the info so people know the difference between panic and bunny 500.:)

Rose

Thanks alot for the more in-depth explaination between panic vs. happy running about. I've seen my lop in a panic before...another note...when she's 'spooked' she'll thump. I've actually had the experience of her thumping while company was over. She was not really familiar with the company, but their visit coincided with her afternoon napping time. I personally thought she was upset because her nap was interrupted. Does this sound correct?

SAS wrote:
Then there was aFlemish Giant here that ended up with a concussion after sensing or seeing an opossum on the porch and panicking in his cage. :shock:

SAS
Apollo Wallo.....:cry2

Latest posts

Back