protecting bunny from heat wave

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kit

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I don't post here much, although I do lurk (here and Ontario Rabbit forums) and I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to keep bunnies comfortable during heat waves.

Right now, my bunny's "room" is a north facing study with a tile floor. Thankfully the place is always a bit cooler than the rest of the apartment and there's always a cool spot for her to lie in, and she has a few hidey holes as well. I'm also making sure that when I refill her water bottle every day that its with cold water and I'm wetting her herbs to make sure she's getting more.

Some concerns though. She only seems to like drinking water from her bottle and not from a bowl, which means that she only gets water if she feels like going back into her cage. That also means that at night when she's out in the rest of the apartment, she won't take it from a bowl. Occaisionally I see her pop into her room but I don't hear her drink.

On Friday, the heat and humidity here is expected to feel like +39 degrees Celsius (I think that's like over 100 in Fahrenheit) and I don't know how to make it easier on her. I'm thinking of providing her with a series of damp wrung out towels, even though she doesn't like being wet much. I'm also going to wrap an ice pack in a t-shirt and put it near one of her favorite hiding places.

What else can I do?

Sounds like you are doing a good job. Some people recommend putting a frozen water bottle out that they can lay next to if they're hot. Felipe has a small personal sized fan that I point into his cage or his playpen during the day when I'm not home. I leave the a/c on during the day and the overhead fan. He seems to enjoy his little fan though.

Do fans really help though? I would think they would only help if the bunnies sweat. Fans work on us because they draw the sweat away from the skin, therefore cooling our body temps...
So how would a fan cool a bunny?

I've read that people will actually put a bowl of ice in front of the fan which supposidly helps keep bunnies and humans cool.

I've done the water bottles too but i would put it in an old pillow case just so the condensation doesn't bother the bunny. Mine hate getting wet too.

Susan :)

something I used to do when I live in nebraska, I used metel water dishs and I put ice in them. so it bacily froze the metel.

also wet towels over the cage with the fan is great to.

Thanks everyone, these are great tips. I don't have air conditioning, otherwise, that's the first thing I'd do!

I think then, for Friday, which is supposed to be really bad, I may just keep her in her cage, with some nice cold/cool things, a wet towel and a fan.

She doesn't like the ear thing though. I tried it and she sprang away from me and tried to shake it off and wouldn' t come near me again for a full two minutes!

Latest posts

Back