Proper Thump Response?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I probably wouldn't thump back as that would be you communicating that there is danger.

It probably would depend on why they are thumping. Are they nervous about something, or are they trying to get your attention? If they are nervous, it would be good to try and figure out what it is they are nervous about. If they are trying to get your attention, I guess it would depend on why they want your attention. I have a rabbit that thumps when he realizes it's playtime and I'm letting him out of his cage, cause he gets so excited. Another common reason is when rabbits think it's feeding time. If it's not something you want to encourage, then I agree to just ignore it until they quite down, then pay attention to them.

Natasha will thump occasionally when she senses danger of some sort - usually something I can't see or hear.

More often than not, it's in the middle of the night, and I'll hear her run into the bedroom at top speed, then stop next to my bed (or under the bed) and thump really loud. If I don't respond, she'll thump again until I'll tell her "nothing to worry about, everything's OK". Then she settles right down and goes to sleep. Just wanted Dad's reassurance, I guess.

Of course, sometimes she thumps when she's frustrated, too - like when I tease her. Then she'll turn her back and thump, then look around to make sure I got the point. Really, there's no response possible other than to laugh, which she doesn't appreciate...

My Xena, and now Conan has recently been picking it up, thump to let me know their upset at me. I accept that and the foot flicks as a sign that I spoil these suckers because the rest of the time they're binkying around.

I swear Pollys name should be thumper. She thumps at least once a day and I never know what she wants. She is kind of a shy rabbit so maybe she's just scared. She's been through a lot though so I understand.

Poor bunny...

My rabbits almost never thump. But they're outside so they can scare off raccoons trying to raid the chicken coop that is right next to them! Did you see the post about the rabbit that scared the burgler off?

Latest posts

Back