problems with catching bunnies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunnybunny63

Reaction score
Daisy is very hard to catch out in the runs.Usually i ahve to corner her, tempot her with food or chase her (in thenicest possiable way) till i can just grab her!

Dandy is very good she will hop over ot me most of the time and if shedoesnt then i can just climb in and walk up to her and pick her up!

OMG, yes! Harper is a nightmare to catch when Ilet him out to run anywhere, whether it is outside or in the house.When I go to catch him, he'll wait to I get right up on him and thenhe'll hop away right before I can grab him. I always have to corner himto catch him (he's not tempted by food at all). Letting him run outsidein the yard is a nightmare most of the time, it usually takes close to20 minutes to catch him!

Mine are usually very good, Millie is a littleangel in that if she sees me putting her toys away she will hop intoher basket, and if not I can always tempt her in with a towel (sheloves digging at them!:rollseyes). Ruby is a bit harder and alwayslikes to play 'catch me if you can'. I usually just walk around herdingher into the area where the basket is them tempting her close enough soshe will goher downher pipe leading up to thebasket.:brat:Works a charm!;)

Harley knows the look on my face when I want himto go home to his cage at night and normally he has other idea.....likehide in the tube, behind the couch, ect ect

A little chase now never hurts him....its more of a game tohim I think. Occasionally he get a bit snippy

i never knew so amny people ahd the same problem as me!!! lol

ive tried many ways of trying teach Daisy to be easy to catch! voerlast winter she learnt that oif she came up to me in the evenings wheni go out she gets food so she got sued to that. this stayed over thesummer and into this autum but since i have been locking them up inhutches with runs underneith at ngiht she has decided being caught is abad thing. which is understandable i guess! who would want to betrapped when she could sjut stay out (semi) free!

last night i tried to treach her that if she was caught it doesnt meanshe has to go in what i did was - chase her and catch pick her up thenput her back on the floor with some fodd as shes food obsessed! then ileft her for a coupel of mins then did this again we did this about 5times then i could walk up to her pick her up carry her roudn the runand put her back without any portest. next i tired picking her up thencarrying her round the garden and then taking her back in the pen. idid this a few times and she was fine. next i picked her up and tookher back to hutch but instead of putting her in the hutch i sat her ontop as i usually have to do this before i put her back to give me tiemto open the door! i then pciked her up again and too her back to thep[en. the following time i tried to pcik her up she ran away so icornered her and then pciked her up and just walekd around the garden.did this quite a few mroe times then tried taking her back to sittin onher hutch.she ran away the next time i picked her up so i didint takeher back to her hutch for a few times then tired again. i repeted thisuntil i could pcik her up take hr back to hutch let her go and pick herup straight away again. then i actually took her back to her hutch andfed her!

what do other think of this as a training method?

sorry for such a long post!

Hunnybunny, to me it sounds like you idea/methodis a good one. It's teaching Daisy that not everytime she is beingpicked up is she being put into her hutch. Which makes her then realizethat sometimes being picked up can be rewarding and makes her not soafraid of being picked up.

Harper, on the other hand, thinks picking him up is a game. Half thetime when he runs from me, he'll binky! So he definitely thinks it'sall a fun game of "let's tire mommy out."

Hah its such fun being caught time for bunnies :D

I use to have that problem, but I have ramps going into their hutchwhen they are in the garden. I just walk behind them heardingthem towards the direction of the ramp, and they just hop up on theirown. And then they get a cuddle afterwards for being sogood. lol

Ituse to be a nightmare catching bunnies in my garden.

I have tryed your technique a few times before, itworksgreat. But my bunnies hate beingpicked up so I just trained them to run up the ramp on theirown. Ofcourse after they have hopped into their hutch, theyget lots of strokes which they love :Doh and somedinner. Dottie will do anything for food!

Good luck with your technique. It worked for me when I did it.

I 'herd' my rabbit into his cage. Going at awalk I walk tworads him and guide him into his cage. I think he viewshis cage as a safe place, so it is easier then it was when he didn'tlike his cage. If he is being really dificult I will put mydog on a leash and let her come outside. Ronnie normally goes into hiscage when I do that, because the dog cannot go into that under anycircumstances.

I must admit I have taken my dog out on a leadonce or twice at the start, when it took me literally half hour to getthe bunnies in. But im not sure if that is actuallycruel. At college we was taught that it wasnt cruel aslong asthey have a 'home' to run to to get away from the predator (in theireyes). But i must admit it only scared the hell out of thebunnies and I use that as the very LAST resort.

Rodney and Layla are hard to catch when they getfree run of the backyard (supervised, of course).It used totake me up to an hour to coax them into their carriers withoutstressing them.

I have made a bunny catching device out of NIC grids tomakecatching themquick and not asstressfulon them. It only takes a few minutes to round themup now.

I basically made a cube out of the grids, with the bottom being openand not having a grid. I just place the NIC cube over them in thebackyard, and then place their carrier next to the cube and tilt thecube up so they can only go into their carrier.

I am working on a way to make one side of the cube have a grid thatslides up and down, so thatI canput the cubeagainst the carrier and just slide the grid inbetween up. I hope allthat makes sense. :)

Once Fiona gets out of her pen, (she's notsupposed to, she's just an escape artist), she likes to run and hideunder my mom's bed. I spent 30 mins. last night trying to gether out. It'd be fine, and I'd wait, but there is anextension cord under there that we don't want her chewing on, and she'spicked it up a number of times already. She thinks its agreat game.

When we notice she's not in her pen, we go from room to room saying,"Fiona are you in here" and once you get to the right room, shethumps.

Well, I don't think anyone's suggested this yet,but I've found that it works pretty well if you sit on the ground someways away from the rabbit, turn sideways so that they can almost seewhat you're doing, then pretend to be doing the most interesting thingin the whole world. (It sounds stupid, I know, but it'sworked with every rabbit I've had so far!) They're toocurious for their own good ;)

I have this alot with Will when i'm in theliving room. I find the best way is to nudge him out from behind, ifhes out on the floor and i know he's gonna run behind something, ithrough an item of clothing over him. Then i can take it off of him andcover his eyes so he doesn't run. Once he's in my arms he's ok!

Sounds like we all have the same troublehere. Sammy is the same. When i need to pick her upi usually sit on the floor and chat to her so she comes to me toinvestigate then i will put my left hand on her chest above herlegs - this tends to stop her jumping over my hand.Then quickly i scoop her up by her botom and that seems to work quitewell apart from the odd growl i get from her. It is funnywhen she struggles because im sure she makes out she doesnt want to bepicked up but as soon as she is comfy on me she will start grinding herteeth and relaxes on me. I can then sit down withher on me and she will fall asleep on me which is so cute.

Asyou can see she loves a cuddle x

my bunnys dug holes all over the garden so its very hard to catch them!
they go down 1 hole and up another were doing alot of building work here at the moment so there is plenty of places to hide

Butterfinger wrote:
Well, I don't think anyone's suggested this yet, but I'vefound that it works pretty well if you sit on the ground some ways awayfrom the rabbit, turn sideways so that they can almost see what you'redoing, then pretend to be doing the most interesting thing in the wholeworld. (It sounds stupid, I know, but it's worked with everyrabbit I've had so far!) They're too curious for their owngood ;)

Hah I do that to get my dog back in the park :D- because sheonly comes back when SHE wants to :X It works every time!

Butterfinger wrote:
Well, I don't think anyone's suggested this yet, but I'vefound that it works pretty well if you sit on the ground some ways awayfrom the rabbit, turn sideways so that they can almost see what you'redoing, then pretend to be doing the most interesting thing in the wholeworld. (It sounds stupid, I know, but it's worked with everyrabbit I've had so far!) They're too curious for their owngood ;)

sounds like a good idea but its now nearly always wet out in the gradenand i really dont have time to sit waiting for however logn it takesfor them to come over every timei put Daisy out in the run!

I don't usually have a problem because my twoknow the sound of the papaya tablets being opened and the high tail itover, but when I do have trouble cathching them, I use atowel.

I throw the towel over them, and they freeze - trying to figure out why it got so dark probably - and I just scoop them up.

_________
Nadia

HoneyPot wrote:
I don't usually have a problem because my two know the soundof the papaya tablets being opened and the high tail it over, but whenI do have trouble cathching them, I use a towel.

I throw the towel over them, and they freeze - trying to figure out why it got so dark probably - and I just scoop them up.

_________
Nadia

ive tried the towel trick before but my bunny Daisy is extreamly smart,to clever for her own good i always say, so she knows that if i have atowel or blanket ready to throw over her she jsut keeps running even ifthe towel touches her!!

Latest posts

Back