Problem!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddysMom

Reaction score
well... I just went to dress Freddy in his Santasuit and noticed blood on his man part (not his testicles..and it wasntthere last night)

I examined and it actually looks like he tore his penis. I dont exactlyknow rabbit anatomy, but from the tip straight down the middle, it issplit about 2-3 milimeters and theres blood .. I cleaned it with alittle peroxide and that definately where the blood is coming from.

It doesnt look like a bite b/c the tear/cut is perfectly straight andnot curved ....I cant get him to a vet tonight, but is there anything Ican do for it in the meantime???

Oh no.

Has the bleeding stopped?

If it's stopped I was just make sure it stays clean. You maywant to put his collar back on just to keep him from injuring itfurther if he's messing with it.

Poor guy. You have both had a rough week.

Sending prayers for you and Freddy.

Tina

to add:

it'scleaned with peroxide and I put some neosporin on it.

It has to hurt the poor guy when hes going to the bathroom :( but atthe same time, his urine will keep it clean at least ...ugh

Should I look for any antibiotics in the hosue that he can take?

I know they cant have amoxicillin...but what people antibiotics arethey able to take? and if so ...do you know the dosage?? Imso worried about infection

I'd just clean it a couple times a day like yourdoing, I don't think you'll have to worry about infection as long asyou do that...as I know you'll keep a very close eye on it!

A couple of weeks before I lost Scooby, he hadan injury that sounds similar to Freddy's. Actually what happened inScooby's case was, Raph managed to scale over the side of the pen thatScooby was in, and Scooby, being unneutered, immediately went afterRaph, mounting his head. Raph nipped the nearest thing he could...andScooby wound up with a very nasty internal tear. He bled profusely fora while...my vet's office was closed (doesn't it always happen whenthey're closed or away?), so I did what I could to stop the bleeding.Cleaned the area with disinfectant and applied some pressure. Once thebleeding slowed to a trickle, I applied an antibacterial cream to thearea. Took him to the vet's the next day, where the vet felt Scoobywould need surgery to repair the tear (a section of skin was hangingfrom him), but first wanted him treated with some antibiotics. I didthis for several days, and when he returned to the vet's for a re-exam,the vet was surprised to discover just how well it had healed.

Keep the area and all bedding clean and keep applying the Neosporin...that should be enough to treat him till you see a vet...

(((Hugs))) for Freddy....

:pray:s for freddy by the way i got some pics ofbandit in the thred called pic thred:hug:s forfreddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay ...so I dug in my medicine chest and the only thing I found that is not way past expiration is Levaquin.

Levaquin (levofloxacin)quinilone antibiotic like baytril(endofloxacin) and cipro (ciprofloxacin) ... Icalculated the dosage for both the baytril and cipro and they are thesame.

Has anyone given their rabbit Levaquin before? and does anyone think itpossible to use this to treat him until I can get him to his vet onMonday?

FreddysMom wrote:
okay ...so I dug in my medicine chest and the only thing Ifound that is not way past expiration is Levaquin.

Levaquin (levofloxacin)quinilone antibiotic like baytril(endofloxacin) and cipro (ciprofloxacin) ... Icalculated the dosage for both the baytril and cipro and they are thesame.

Has anyone given their rabbit Levaquin before? and does anyone think itpossible to use this to treat him until I can get him to his vet onMonday?
Hy Kido ,

I dont know that I would givehim the antibiotics as yet , is this aHuman anti bi or an animal anti bi ? Its generallynot a good idea to start on something that isstronger than what a vet would give for fear of itnot working and there would be nothing strongerthan can be given .

Untill you can get him to theVet I would keep itclean and dry and ifyou have neosporin or a triple antibicream I would use that for now . Im sorryI have yet to have had to deal with this ,,but I know others on the board have . Maybe PmTiny's Mom and see what she was told to do for herrabbit when this happened .

and we're back from the vet.

The genious somehow managed to get his lil man part stepped on andeither his or Vicky's nail tore it. The vet said it was definately atear and not a bite.

We didn;t get any antibiotics and dont have to worry about any part going necrotic b/c theres no hangy pieces.

A reference for anyone else that this may happen to, she said thatantibiotics were not needed first b/c the area was not obviouslyinfected, and that since mucous membranes cell turn over rate happensso fast that it rarely gets infected and will heal on its own withintwo weeks.

Poor Little Guy had to hurt.

Just saw the post and wanted to thank you for the update and send kudos for getting him to the vet right away.

:pray: for a quick and complete recovery.

-Carolyn

:hug:I'm so glad that Freddy's OK!. So sorrythat you had to go through all that particularly on a holiday. I knowhow stressful it is if you think your little guy is suffering. Gladthat he'll be fine

mini bandit AKA. FRRRRREEEEEEDDDDDDDDDYSSSOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!tell the lil guy i said HHHIIIIIIII and said hope he heals good. keepus updated too!!!!

Latest posts

Back