priscilla not eating?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juju

Reaction score
i have a female rabbit who hasnt eaten any pellet since saturday, ive out a crock of water in her cage, she usually eats hay, veg and fruit as well as plain pellet. i read on here it could be something called gi statis? i gave her some mint this morning and she ate that, is there anything i could give her to try to help my baby as funds are quite short at the moment as my partner has lost his job but i dont want her to be poorly . any help guys? :imsick:

Has anything about her pellets changed, new kind, new bag? Is she eating everything else, hay and veggies? Is she drinking alright? And is she pooping and do the look normal, round, and all about the same size?

shes hardly pooped at all. i do there cages every day but hers is practically clean since saturday, shes not eating hay or pellet now but she ate some mint this morning. is there any old wives tales that will work.please help. im beside myself with worry:(

ive just noticed as she is exercising round the house her stools have been soft and one was like jellified? whats wrong with my baby? :bawl:

The jellied one is an uneaten cecal. If she seems swollen up a bit, what you want to try is baby-type gas drops, simethicone, which you can get in any drugstore etc. Mash up some of her pellets in squash baby food & hand feed it to her. Also massage her belly. But you may need to go to a vet, I'm afraid.

what is simethicone? dont think we have that over here? is it same as gripe water you give to babies to ease stomach ache?:?

My bun had something similar, GI Stasis. You need to take her to the vet, and an x-ray will tell a lot. If that is not possible, then let me share what the vet told me, I was told to syringe feed my bun but I read that it might not be a good idea if your bun has a blockage. My bun didnt have one, so it is ok for her. If you bun is moving, and is eating a bit then it might not be so serious. Mine wouldnt move, was all hunched up, her stomach made loud noises and she was not eating. Try tempting her with more food or some mints some veggies that she loves, and of course hay. I was told that can pumpkin can help with the appetite. I am going to try that today so i will let you know how that goes. Best of luck

thank you. yea shes moving about its just her going off her pellet that worries me. although she is still drinking and ate some garden mint this morning do you know what simethicone is?

simethicone is any brand of over-the-counter infant gas drops. dosing is 1-2cc per hour for three hours, then 1cc every 3-8h if needed. it's incredibly safe for rabbits.

canned pumpkin (plain, not the pie filling kind) is good for keeping the digestive system going - it's tasty and high in fiber.

papaya tablets (some pet stores have them) are good for digestive problems, especially hairballs (caused from grooming themselves during a molt), as is fresh pineapple (or fresh-squeezed juice).

if you need to syringe feed, critical care (can be purchased from vets or online at http://www.leithpetwerks.com/ ) is great... if you don't have any of that, you can mix water in with pellets and microwave for a couple minutes, then let sit for 10-20 mins while the pellets "fluff". add more water if needed, or if you prefer/worry that she won't eat it, you can mix a little bit of preservative free fruit flavored baby food in with the pellet slurry.

great video on syringe-feeding: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGZVYVm5Bg[/ame]

if the bunny stops eating or pooping completely, a vet trip is necessary.

just to let you all know. cilla is ok now :hugsquish: . managed to get some simethicone into her,kept her off pellet for a few days and gave her hours and hours of excercise, fed her hay (which she isnt overly keen on) veggies and fruit. ssoooooooooooooo glad shes ok now and eating a little pellet and her poops are back to normal :inlove: thanks for all your advice peeps

I'm really happy to hear she's doing well. GI stasis can be scarey. I have one bun that has issues with it if I'm not careful about what I feed him, and I actually had another bun die from it, from me feeding her a little fruit and carrot each day. You may want to read up on it so you can avoid it happening again. It usually happens when a rabbit is stressed or is getting too many carbohydrates and sugars in it's diet. You may want to cut the fruit out of her diet just to be safe. It can also have to do with feeding veggies that tend to produce gas, like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower.

Latest posts

Back