Princess has a bald patch on her neck, that looks sore.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, I've cleaned the wound, and noticed that it has spread even more. :cry2 I will look into getting her a collar of sorts, or even making her one if I can. I'm defo of to the vet on Monday, first thing!

How would she of got ringworm?

I've checked Benji and he is :thumbup

I would imagine you could probably make one that stopped her getting to it quite easily. Some bunnies do well with even just a baby vest type thing on them.

I don't know much about ringworm other than that it is highly contagious but with mine, when they have had reactions to vaccinations we saw it get worse for two weeks before improvement set in (that was VHD and really got to some of mine, in particular, Badger, who ended up with blad bits all over his body).

I'm going to see if I can find some info on ringworm for you.

ok, I have an appointment at 12pm today. Princess is still eating, drinking, and playing around the house as normal, which is good news as the sores are getting worse and looking bumpy. The area also feels hot, so defo an infection there. I've been bathing the area, but doesn't seem to help. Princess defo needs some form of antibiotics. I will keep everyone updated.

Ok, I'm back from the vet. I did some research before I went about reaction to VHD injections and came across an interesting case on another forum

www.englishrabbit.org.uk/cylapreport.pdf

This lady had all her rabbits injected with Cylap VHD vaccine, and 8 of them had a reaction to the vaccine. So I checked my records to see which injection my Princess had had, and can you believe it, yep, she also had a vaccine by Cylap. I produce this document to my vet, which has pics and he agreed that it looked very similar. He is going to put a report through to Cylap to see what they say. He also said that he hadn't seen a reaction like this before.Princess has been given Fuciderm cream, so fingers cross that will work. He also warned me that because the wounds are severe, Princess may be scarred, but hopefully her fur will cover that.

I'm soooooo upset that my poor Princess has to go through this. Has anyone else had a reaction to this vaccine?

Unfortunately, these types of reactions can occur from any type of injection, not just the VHD vaccine :(

Hopefully she'll be on her way to recover soon!

Pam

Cylap is notorious for producing side effects, most notoriously the cylap limp, but like I've already said, what you've shown and said I saw in several of my bunnies.

Lapinject generally seems to be a safer VHD vaccination.

For mine, we use Cylap, but for every bunny under 1.7kg they get a half dose, and since then we have not see any signs of problems, and they are still covered.

Benjamin has now got the same sores as Princess and he had his vaccine 1 week ago, before we realised that it was the vaccine that reacted with Princess. The vet has asked for some photos, and he is going to send reports to the manufacturer. He also asked if he could take the buns medical reports and photos with him to a vet convention and show some rabbit experts there as he wants to do some research on it.

I'll let you know how gets on.

Princess' sores are healing well and hopefully I've caught Benny's in time that they don't get as bad as Princess.

Big hugs to my poorly buns xxx

Our English spot has just had the cylap vaccine too, and has too come out with fur loss and a sore on his body near the injection site. Wish I had seen this before.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to stop him from scratching his wound as he keeps making it bleed and making it larger in size.

Is currently on baytril twice a day, but nearly finished that.

Some Metacam as a painkiller might help, but a soft e-collar like I suggested to Kel might be wortha try. Get creative with something like a sock, or scarf, or baby outfit, etc

Might try the sock idea.

By e-collar do you mean one of those electric shock collars? Seems a bit mean as he must be in pain already.

During the day we are going to bandage his wound up, but don't want to do that through the night just incase he decides to try and eat it.

No, not an electric shock collar at all! You're right, that would be brutal.

An e-collar is one of those cones that get put on dogs and cats to stop them chewing a wound, or worrying a wound.

This

That looks like this when worn

A soft one would do the same thing, but it means he can also eat his cecals. It needs to be restrictive enough to stop his getting to his wound, but allow him enough movement to groom generally, to eat his cecals, etc.

Also, could you please put your location in your profile, it means you'll get more specific advice because it differs area to area, country to country.

Ahh, the old lampshade. Where do you get these soft collars from? Just looked online but all I can find is ones for cats and dogs.

Just I searched on ebay for e-collar and thats what came up lol.

Im in the UK, will update my profile now though

I shall have a go with a sock like you suggested.

Probably best not to leave it on through the night though you reckon? Don't want him to eat it and upset his stomach.

I sent an email last night to the manufacturers of the cylap injection to make them aware of it, and also going to the vets with that report to show her too, hopefully she will start using the lapinject version of the vhd jab.

I've read on other forums, that it is the manufacturers responsibility to pay for any costs incurred following a reaction, is this true?

If you want lapinject next time, ask in plenty of time that your vets order it in for you, which they should do.

I don't know about the manufacturers thing.

I would see how he does with the sock. If he doesn't look inclined to chew it, then you may be ok to leave it on unsupervised, but if he looks like he may chew it then obviously that would be a bit of a risk.

He could do with some painkiller. I live near Ipswich, on the off chance that you're within sort of half an hour or so then I'm happy for you to have some of my Metacam for him.

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I live in South Yorkshire quite a way away. Will ask the vet about this tomorrow though. Does Metacam have any known side effects?

Will defo be asking for lapinject next time.

Yes, that's definitely not within half an hour :p

All medications have side effects.

In the UK people tend to focus on the risk of stomach upset with Metacam (it's similar to aspirin and ibuprofen so its similar to the risks in people) if used for a significant period of time.

On here most people focus on the fact it can compromise the kidneys, so hydration is very important, again, that's more if its used longerm term.

Personally I have 16 buns, and use Metacam at any sign that something has happened to the bun to cause discomfort to avoid any stasis issues with pain (so this was for all their neuters and spays, tear duct problems, eye infections, when my girl had cancer, any other minor operations, dentals, pre dental, UTIs, infections, irritations or anything else that may cause pain or inflammation). I've never had any problems with mine and you can probably imagine I've used it a lot. I've just always seen more comfortable bunnies after, nothing negative.

Latest posts

Back