Princess has a bald patch on her neck, that looks sore.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kel4mum

Reaction score

- Description (Breed, color., weight) Blue otter Lionhead, approx 2-3lbs

- spayed/neutered? Nope

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal?All normal
- When did they last use their litterbox? recently
- Any unusual behavior? she has been running round Benjamin, and lifting her bum, and grunting. Benjamin has been grooming her...a lot

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? Has had Myxo jab and had VHD jab last week.

- Diet - what does your bunny eat? Supreme Science, Selective, and Oxbow Western Timothy Hay
- when and what did s/he eat last? Recently

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? She is her happy self.

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? Nope

- has the rabbit been outdoors? Never

When getting Benjamin ready for the vet this morning, one of my kids, whom was petting Princess, noticed she had a sore on her neck, when examining her, I noted a small bald patch on her neck area that is dry but red. She doesn't mind me touching it. As I had an appointment for Benny, I took Princess with me so the vet could have a look. His conclusion was that Benjamin had been over grooming Princess. He has told me to keep them seperate until the area had got better.

What do you think? Could it be anything else? Is there anything else i can do, or look for, to make sure it doesn't get worse?

When were their vaccinations given? It sounds pretty recent. It could be you're looking at a localised reaction from the vaccination that was most recently done.

When I had that I used a small smear of Sudocrem on the area. That won't be useful if he is over grooming (but with some buns, they can overgroom if there is an issue, so if it is overgrooming it may be because she is sore from her vaccination).

Could you post a picture?

It could be a vaccination reaction, overgrooming, fur mites, or Benjamin has been mounting her and ripping her fur out. I have seen this a lot with bonding rabbits--when they mount each other, the one on top rips out fur at the base of the other's neck, in order to hold on tightly.

Flashy wrote:
When were their vaccinations given? It sounds pretty recent. It could be you're looking at a localised reaction from the vaccination that was most recently done. When I had that I used a small smear of Sudocrem on the area. That won't be useful if he is over grooming (but with some buns, they can overgroom if there is an issue, so if it is overgrooming it may be because she is sore from her vaccination). Could you post a picture?
Photo-0412.jpg
I hope this helps. Princess had her injection for VHD on Friday7th August. Benjamin has been grooming her in that area a lot since that injection.

That does look like a localised reaction.

It might be that she had her injection and it has reacted with her and he knows that and has been grooming it to try and make it better, not realising he is making it worse.

Ideally he needs to stop doing that, obviously. I had a pair do that and I separated them until the fur started to regrow and allowed them supervised play, and then rebonded them back together when she was better.

The vet asked me to keep them apart, except for supervised play, but when they had their exercise today, Benny just wanted to lick Princess' sore. So I'm thinking that they are going to have to play seperately until all is better.

Do you think that I should put anything on it, or let it heal on it's own?

Is there any complications that I should look out for?

Kel4mum wrote:

- Description (Breed, color., weight) Blue otter Lionhead, approx 2-3lbs

- spayed/neutered? Nope

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal?All normal
- When did they last use their litterbox? recently
- Any unusual behavior? she has been running round Benjamin, and lifting her bum, and grunting. Benjamin has been grooming her...a lot

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? Has had Myxo jab and had VHD jab last week.

- Diet - what does your bunny eat? Supreme Science, Selective, and Oxbow Western Timothy Hay
- when and what did s/he eat last? Recently

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? She is her happy self.

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? Nope

- has the rabbit been outdoors? Never

When getting Benjamin ready for the vet this morning, one of my kids, whom was petting Princess, noticed she had a sore on her neck, when examining her, I noted a small bald patch on her neck area that is dry but red. She doesn't mind me touching it. As I had an appointment for Benny, I took Princess with me so the vet could have a look. His conclusion was that Benjamin had been over grooming Princess. He has told me to keep them seperate until the area had got better.

What do you think? Could it be anything else? Is there anything else i can do, or look for, to make sure it doesn't get worse?
you made it through the gantlet,//,you went to the dvm-follow their advice.//.there was no mention of antibiotic ointment/.maybe ask the dvm what to apply,,just keep an eye on the red spot,,,hopefully there was an examination of the area and ears-for parasites.ie fleas,mites,,treat accordingly,,good hearing from you on this website,,..sincerely james waller..the other kent,usa:blushan:

Oh, ok! That's good to hear. I think it's good to let it heal before they play together. You could probably put some triple antibiotic ointment on it if you like.

The vet gave Princess a examination,, and looked in her ears, on her belly, and around her bum. He knew that Princess had had her injection the week before cos he remembered me coming in. However he never mentioned that it could be a reaction to the injection. Just told me to seperate the buns until it has healed, but he did warn me that I may have to keep them permantely apart, if when finally reunited with Benjamin, he keeps grooming her too much. So I assume that he believes that Benjamin had just over groomed her??????

He also never mentioned antibiotics.

Was just thinking that I may give my vet a call in the morning to see if they think it could possibly be a reaction to the injections.....I'll let you know what they said, and also keep you up to date with her progress.

Thank you :D

The triple antibiotic ointment is an over-the-counter human thing. The brand name in the US is Neosporin, and you just have to make sure you don't get the kind with pain medicine in it. There are generic versions as well. It's good that the vet has seen it, because he would know if it were ringworm or mites. If it's from overgrooming, there are ways to prevent that, like giving them more distractions. Bunnies usually only overgroom if there's an issue there (I've heard of one bun in a bonded pair that overgroomed the other's eye area when the other had an eye infection, or others who've groomed where there's a skin infection or abscess) or they're bored. It's possible that Benjamin thought there was a problem in that spot because she had a tiny puncture mark from the injections or she didn't smell normal in that area (assuming they disinfected the area it could have smelled differently).

I don't know if we have any triple anti-biotic stuff over here, I've never found it.

We have Savlon, which can be used as a smear, and Germolene but not sure if that can be used. They are both anti-septic creams.

I used Sudocrem in that situation with mine and that worked great.

Often the vaccination makes a local reaction that doesn't show (a bit warm, also obviosuly a bit tender) and if Benjamin is very sensative to stuff like that he will focus in on it and try to make it better (Randy calls them nurse bunnies), but the more he tries to make it better the worse it actually gets, sadly.

I would just keep them apart but next to each other, and also swap cages and cage contents too to keep the bond as strong as possible. It might be worth getting her spayed while they are separate to avoid that issue in the future.

Flashy wrote:

It might be worth getting her spayed while they are separate to avoid that issue in the future.

I was think exactly that this morning and am having her done week. Great minds think a like :biggrin2:

ok, got up this morning and opened Princess' cage so she could have her morning run, and noticed that the wound is now twice as big and there is no hair in that area. :(

she's not bothered by me touching it, but it looks so sore. She has obv been licking it herself, and taken the hair out completely. (no longer with benjamin)

I can't afford to take her to the vet today, as it would cost me double, can go on Monday.

What should I do now?

Should I bath it, with cooled boiled water, so it doesn't get infected? Or should I just leave it?

Help please, I'm worried :cry2

Ouch, yes, cooled boiled water is a good start. Metacam may also be useful if you have some.

Some clever people have fashioned collars out of things like socks or tights. I don't think it would take much of a collar to stop her getting to it, maybe it's worth experimenting? Just something around her neck that can stop her from getting to the wound.

Yeah, searching for "soft e-collar" may get you some help. It may be an infection, or ringworm there. I'd get her to the vet on Monday.

Latest posts

Back