Princess Chewy's Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsJuliet

Reaction score
Hey there! I was posting several posts in various threads in The Infirmary as well as about housing and behavior, and I just decided to collect all of my posts here in Chewy's blog.

Chewy is a beautiful, black and white French rabbit, a little lady, who is nine years old. All I wanted was a rabbit when I was little, despite adults trying to convince me to get a pet that I could "play" with- a dog, or a cat. I was in love with bunnies and had my heart set on getting one.
Chewy was purchased from a Petland store in my neighborhood. I now know the real benefits of adopting a shelter rabbit, etc., but at the time in my young age, I didn't know too much about that. I have no regrets giving Petland business as it resulted in Chewy and I uniting, a real match made in heaven. She was 3 months old when I brought her home.
Chewy has been a part of my family ever since then, participating in family events, always there on my birthday, always ready to offer up a good-luck pet for me before my soccer games and tests in school. She is a spunky bunny who likes things her way ONLY. She is very sweet and LOVES to be pet.
Her favorite fruit is banana, and she also loves string beans and granny smith apple. At first, she didn't like carrots at all :shock:, but now she likes eating baby carrots.
She enjoys being brought outside in our suburban-type community within New York City. She loves running on the hill across the street, and more recently, lounging behind our building underneath a favorite tree. She has a plastic Toy bunny Vanilla who is her constant companion. It is a love-hate relationship, as she is thrown around the cage throughout the day, but always winds up right next to Chewy while she lies down.
Chewy has always loved Busy Bunny's willow tunnels, and has joyfully completely chewed up quite a few in her lifetime.

Chewy was recently diagnosed with cancer, an unidentifiable form that her doctors have never seen before. She seems entirely unaffected- still her little spunky self. Within about a week of hearing, she seemed more aggressive, and was put on Metacam, a pain killer. She has been on it for about 8-9 days now, and has been enjoying her life as usual.
Recently I have noticed she seems to be more quiet and subdued. My family and I are going on vacation for a week on Wed, and I am heartbroken to leave her here. I will be having family members taking care of her while I'm gone, but I hate to leave her. :( I hope that she is okay! All of these stories I hear about bunnies seeming fine but actually having a lot of inside problems terrify me, but my little Honey does seem to be holding up, happy as can be eating her favorite treats and tearing apart her willow tunnel.

What a lovely start to your blog :)
Chewy seems like such the sweetie!
I hope she is okay, and I hope she will be okay while you are gone!

I am with you there on the "I have no regrets giving Petland business" because I have had a similar experience. We got our (now 4 years old- 8 weeks when we bought him) Shiba Inu from Petland, and he's a wonderful dog, and we all love him. Sure, we're usually embarrassed to tell people where we got him, because most people we know are against Petland, but I know I made a good pick :) And you appear to have done so as well :)

I sort of envy the fact that you always wanted buns when you were little. When I was little, I wasn't too interested in bunnies (not that I can remember). I took care of two wild bunnies when their mother was killed (my dad runs a landscaping business.. you can guess the rest) and then we set them free once they got old enough. I ended up with rats after that, but they were definitely not my thing. I finally got into bunnies when I took care of another wild bunny and released her intoour backyard (we live on 3+ acres). I have since then, ended up with three bunnies from the Humane Society:)

That's lovely to hear about all that you've done for rabbits! I unfortunately do not have any rescuing or such experience with rabbits in my life yet, but I am very interested in it. I read a recent thread by a member here about their first time volunteering at a shelter near their home, and it revealed that rabbits in shelters are often victims of neglect, while dogs and cats are favored because they can (to some people) be perceived as easier to care for.
Chewy has taught me such amazing things that I don't think a dog or a cat would have been able to teach me. Rabbits are amazingly special animals, and I think they make excellent companions. I would love to help get more rabbits into safe and loving homes, but I have a very soft spot for animals. I am not sure if I am tough enough to see bunnies in shelters, without the treats, toys, and love Chewy has been given her whole life.

Your buns are adorable in your avatar. :) They look like such sweeties too. Chewy says hi to all your buns!

Chewy Booey has been running around tonight... seems she is most active at this time of the day.

The mystery of what happened to a few blueberries I put in her willow ball last week is solved- I tried to give Chewy blueberries again, and she liked them!

Here is a picture of Chewy relaxing with her willow ball and Vanilla toy:
x1d6oh.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture quality- I took it with my phone, and I don't have a digital camera anymore. I'll be borrowing a family members camera in a week, so I'll take better quality pictures.

I try to do all that I can :) For every animal.
I always am (or trying to) save the birds that hit the windows as well!

Yeah, I really want to volunteer at the rabbit rescue around my house but I'm pretty sure I have to be 18. I'm 17. And I have rabbits, so I have experience ): I wish they'd make an exception! Oh well, I'm gunna be a vetrinarian when I get older :)

Yeah, rabbits are amazing. :) All my family and friends were shocked when they realised I was a bunny person. I love cats, so everyone told me I was gunna be the cat lady. Now they tell me I'm gunna be the "bunny lady". I always scold them because people who are like that.. it's sad ): And not a joking matter!

But that's why I like the Michigan Humane Society and Huron Valley Humane Society :) The bunnies there get lots of toys. And I know for sure at Huron Valley, they rabbits get lots of attention and playtime outside of their cages. Sometimes the MHS ones do, but I'm not sure if they do all the time. I just found out that MHS is a kill-shelter though. It really upsets me. Because I knew two rabbits- Paul (big, black and white, with helicopter ears) and for some reason I just forgot the white new zealand's name. But they've been there since like Easter, and I just looked at the HS's site, and they're gone. ): I hope they got adopted, not killed.

But thank you :) Yeah, my buns are SUCH the sweeties. :) They say hi to Chewy as well~ :)

She is SO cute! My rabbits like blueberries too! :)

Oh, I didn't know the age to work there was eighteen- I'm seventeen too, so I guess ill have to wait another year too. :(

I'm away on vacation now, having a wonderful time but still missing Chewy! Her caretaker says she seems perfectly happy, and she loves to act sweet until she gets her food and treats, and then growl at her and stomp her feet! She really is something else. More to update as soon as I get back!

Chewy sounds so adorable..she also sounds like a girl who knows what she wants and how to get it...just like my lil girl Chocolate Bunny lol..

Sorry to hear about her cancer though..thats pretty sad..my Daisy had a kind of cancer that started in her leg...she is no longer with me..has been gone for three years now.

Chewy is a beautiful bunny..

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is.. sorry I haven't answered in FOREVER. Been a bit busy!

I hate how we have to wait, we're close to 18! And we have bunny experience! We should be allowed to volunteer Dx

Ohh I hope you're having fun on vacation :) I'm going on vacation this Wednesday.

I feel sad leaving my three babies! But I'm leaving them in good hands. (The guy bunsitting them, Danny, is my old neighbor used to babysit me when I was around 2-3, and he loves Solara and Sabriel. -He hasn't met Silas yet!-)

We're going to be gone for around 5 days, I hope my babies don't forget about me! XD

That's silly how Chewy gets all angry about her treats XD

Hey, NYC, huh? I'm from the Bronx!

At least I can set you at ease about the shelter buns in Harlem where I volunteer; they're as spoiled as they can be while they wait to find homes.

I thought it would be depressing to volunteer, too. You kind of have to look at it this way: we help everybun that we can. Some don't get the fabulous homes that they deserve, and some are so neglected when they come in that there's not much we can do, or they become ill rather suddenly, and it's really sad when that happens. But that's not every bunny that comes in. Most of them get to find homes with good bunny people, and they get to have happy lives. I've been volunteering for about two and a half months, and so far, two bunnies that I knew personally, and had played with, have died. But about twenty more buns got to find new homes, and that made losing Dunkin and Wally bearable, you know? At least you know you tried.

If you want something to be proud of, NYC bunny style, you should look up Cindy Stutts! She's awesome. I believe she heads the AC&C rabbit shelter. Mary Cotter is pretty inspiring, too. I think she might just know more about buns than anyone else! It's crazy. She has like a rabbit encyclopedia in her brain somewhere.

Thanks Cheryl, I sure do agree she is a pretty little lady. :)

Yield, have fun on your vacation! Believe you're there now... I haven't been on in awhile because I've been so busy after my return home! I'm sure your buns miss you loads.

Kitty88- what shelter do you volunteer for in Harlem? I've been thinking about starting sometime after this fall somewhere in the city.

Chewy bit my friend while she was watching her, but she quickly returned back to normal once I was back for a day. She has been happy as can be, except that a large scabbed wound that was on her ankle opened up for the first time. Her fur, as well as what appears to be many layers of skin came off on the wound, leaving it open. The wound is very pink and looks very tender. It makes me worried if it could possibly be muscle exposed? It is not bloody at all, and does not seem to be infected. I e-mailed her vet on what I could possibly do, because I wanted to bring her outside for some runs, but with the cut so exposed, I'm very nervous to bring her out. It also looks like it hurts, even though Chewy rarely lets anything affect her good spirits.

I have some pictures of Chewy and I, as well as some of her relaxing :)

It's the Animal Care and Control building. The rabbit rescue is run separately though, so you'd have to email them about volunteering when you're ready. I'm actually on my way there right now. Lol.

I hope poor Chewy's leg starts to feel better. Maybe you could ask your vet about getting a tube of Healx. It's awesome stuff.

Chewy ripped off her bandage this morning, ripping a part of her skin off more. I know that rabbits hate having things on them, but I had to try to bandage it again tonight. I did it tighter than the last time so hopefully it won't bother her as much and let it be. :?

She's in great spirits otherwise, eating her bananas and lounging around. I'll have to ask about the Healx, thanks for the recommendation! What exactly is it?

Sorry it took so long for me to see this! Healx is a topical ointment, kinda like neosporin for animals. It comes in a little blue and gold tube, and it is filled with miracles. LOL. It's really awesome. When I started volunteering at the shelter, there was a bun named Raoul who had been bitten on his mouth pretty severely. His lip was slightly deformed from it and it just looked horrible and painful. He was getting Healx applied every day at that point. I went back the next week, and his big scab was now a perfect little pink seam on his lip, and the week after that it was barely noticable.

It's part healing ointment, part analgesic, so it also soothes painful spots after it's applied.
http://www.exoticdvm.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.main&

The website has a ton of testimonials, and I'm pretty sure you'd be able to find a place where you could get it, as well.

Wow, that stuff really does sound great, and perfect for Chewy. I worry about the sore next to her mouth because I can't bandage it and she needs her whole mouth and nose area to be able to throw toys and bite them- it must hurt her at least a little. I'm sending an e-mail to her doctor asking if Chewy can use it because the sore is actually a small tumor, so I don't know if that changes the healing process.

Thanks for sharing the link!

Latest posts

Back