Prices?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Anyone else incur a price increase for Oxbow? I got the 50 pound bag for $35 last time and this time I was not told and went to buy it..... $60!!! I told them to keep it. I didn't appreciate that sort of price increase in 3 or 4mos.

Youch! I am not familiar with Oxbow brand feed but is there something special about it? Is there some way to research the price elsewhere?

I know specialty rabbit feeds like Show Hutch Deluxe were expensive here last summer - I use Blue Seal Bunny 16 and Axel's former owner said he had better muscling at the show last week... I add race horse oats and greens to the bunnies' diet and they get free choice hay.

My horse feed costs were up drastically last year...hoping things level out this year - not that my "girls" are thin... the vet lectured me on the pudge on Neffie and Freedom some months ago...:whistling Neffie has dropped weight but Freedom is like me - I should have Benn run us both behind the four wheeler...

Denise

Denise

I pay $70+ for a 50 pound bag of Oxbow pellets. But thats stiil cheaper than buying 10 pounds at over $20. I honestly think I get more in the 50 pound bag than in 5 -10 pound bags.

Susan :)

I get Oxbow wholesale.. the cost is around $32 for a 50lb bag. Many retailers mark up 100%, which would make sense if you're now paying $60.. perhaps they were accidently charging you cost price.. especially if it was a special order? They certainly weren't making any money off of it at $35 a bag.

I always consider about $1/pound a decent price for pet food.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but someone else on here got it for the same price. Pet Supply Plus was giving a good deal - now they've gotten ridiculous. I know it's cheaper that way but it made me angry they couldn't have raised the price in a slower way!

Horse feed! omg we pay about $15 a bag.... we feed Nutrena Safe Choice Pellets. I have backed off their feed a bit and they look great but SIL sneaks in an feeds them in the mornings sometimes and grains them..... I only hay in the morning unless it's winter - then we grain also.

I don't buy oxbow but there seems to be a general price hike everywhere. I buy 25kg bags so like 50lb and I went back in the week to find it had gone up to $29 Used to be $20. Same for hay to $8 a bale now used to be $3-4.

I can't imagine a $25 price increase in that short of time.... it nearly doubled!

Plus the fact the smaller bags only went up $1 and that is only about 10% higher.

I bought Oxbow from Foster and Smith the last time. It was $45 for 40lbs with shipping...but only because I had a "first customer coupon". How much is it to order directly from Oxbow now?

Ryan and I were going to stop by the rabbit store in Scottsdale on our way home from San Diego...but a 50lbs bag cost $60+tax and I thought that was just a bit too much.

The prices of pet food is just nuts. It costs me $16 for a 6.6lbs bag of Innova Evo dog food for Sammy. The cat's had to switch off their favorite food because it was $20 for 6.6lbs and they would finish that bag off (only get 1/2 cup each a day) in 3 weeks.

It's not the cost of pet food but the pet owners. People one or two rabbits relying on what others post on the web and then reposting.

No one is going to convince me that spending $60 for designer pellets is better for the rabbits than spending $15 for Purina and the rest on horse hay and veges.

Seems a bit silly to me to feed expensive timothy based pellets when you can just feed cheap timothy hay that horses eat.

In my opinion, feeding the best feed I can afford will be better for my pet in the long run. I chose to feed a high quality pellet to my rabbits because they don't enjoy veggies. I just feed any timothy hay I can find that isn't dusty.

I definitely notice a different in feeding a high quality diet to my pet versus a low quality.

I wouldn't use Purina rabbit food for anything! I don't consider Oxbow a designer feed but a quality one. There's a huge difference in their products compared to others. My rabbits won't even eat some brands of hay!

I feed Purina, which is a VERY quality pellet and my rabbits are doing great on it. And I'm ordering my hay online from a farm in PA.

A 50 lb. bag of feed and a 25 lb. bale of hay doesn't even cost what you're paying for ONE bag of pellets! That's ridiculous...no one can convince me that it's worth it. lol

undergunfire wrote:
In my opinion, feeding the best feed I can afford will be better for my pet in the long run. I chose to feed a high quality pellet to my rabbits because they don't enjoy veggies. I just feed any timothy hay I can find that isn't dusty.

I definitely notice a different in feeding a high quality diet to my pet versus a low quality.

Please give more details on the differences. I don't mean if the rabbits likes one better than the other but things like fur, muscle and general condition.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I wouldn't use Purina rabbit food for anything! I don't consider Oxbow a designer feed but a quality one. There's a huge difference in their products compared to others. My rabbits won't even eat some brands of hay!
That's because they know they've got you trained. It's kind a like saying my children will only eat steak and lobster. Any rabbit will eat anything if hungry. The reason some countries tried to reduce their wild rabbit population IS rabbits will live and multiply as long as there is vegetation.

Baby Juliet wrote:
undergunfire wrote:

Please give more details on the differences. I don't mean if the rabbits likes one better than the other but things like fur, muscle and general condition.

ANYONE can give you details on the differences....between any animal, not just rabbits.

When my rabbits were fed Starr brand (which is what all the breeders around here use for some reason) my rabbits coats became brittle, they shed a TON, Morgan's eating pattern went wonky, their appearances and their personalities went "bland". Their poop was smaller and drier. On Oxbow their persoanlities shine, their coats are lovely, their poop is moist/the right color, and they gobble up thier pellets like they should. I will never feed anything other than Oxbow, unless it was Sweet Meadow's.

I also think Oxbow is such quality because they actually have the rabbit's health in mind. They make a Timothy pellet available to adult rabbits...which most feed companies only have alfalfa based pellets available. People will say that it doesn't matter what age you're rabbits are...they can have alfalfa.....but I beg to differ, the difference of an adult rabbit on timothy based pellets compaired to alfalfa based is amazing.

My dog came to me being fed Pedigree dog food...his poop was sooo nasty and his breath stunk just as horrid as his poop. A quick change over to Eagle Pack Holistics was such an amazing difference. He gained weight and is now at a very healthy weight for his breed and figure. His poop is not stinky in the least bit, it is firm and the right color. His breath is fresh. Not to mention he only poops 2 times a day now, compaired to the 4 times PLUS a day on a low quality food. He is now on Innova Evo and there is even a noticable difference between him being on Eagle Pack to Innova because Innova is a higher quality food.

Even for humans...the higher quality/organic ingredients the better. Sometimes a higher quality diet doesn't always work for animals...but in the long run....I personally think it will lead to a healthier life. I'd rather fork out the cash right now for high quality diets then fork out the money vet bills in the future.

Also...just because it is high quality doesn't mean it has to cost more. Take Eagle Pack dog food for example....it rates a 4 on the high quality dog food list, where as Evo rates the highest at a 1.....but yet Eagle Pack costs more than Innova.

But....unfortunely in the rabbit world...higher quality pellets cost more for some reason. Timothy pellets also cost more in general. If more companies would start making Timothy based pellets, then more options would be available and we might not have to pay so much for timothy based pellets.

Ouch, that's quite a big price increase!! Strange that it would go up so much all at once...

I feed Oxbow too. It's expensive for us because it's not made over here and it's shipped over. We get it at about £45 for a 50lb/22kg bag, which in $US is $68. It lasts us about 3 months though so it's not too bad. We don't like the other foods that are available here- we find that the fibre content isn't high enough and the buns tend to get a lot of mushy poos on them, although at a push I would use Science Selective if we didn't get Oxbow.

Like others, I find that on the Oxbow they have such healthy, shiny and soft coats, very healthy poos, and they're very active. Mind you, they have a small amount of pellets, unlimited quality hay and a large variety of vegetables.

I believe in feeding the bunnies like we feed ourselves- we buy the best quality that we can afford. I think they do prefer it as well :)

I agree with undergunfire on many points. First being the alfalfa based pellets vs timothy. After feeding several different brands of cheap rabbit food from walmart for years (most alfalfa based) my rabbit had 3 surgeries to remove bladder stones. The other two rabbits had no problems, but the diet was clearly the cause as once she was switched to Oxbow she had no future problems.

I've seen the difference in dogs and cats when fed crappy food (beneful, pedigree, purina, science diet, ect) All the big names.. all packed with ground yellow corn. Sorry.. I would not base my diet on corn and I see no reason to feed my pets mainly corn, either. One of my dogs was eating Hill's prescription diet W/D. First ingredients: ground whole grain corn, powdered cellulose 17.1%, chicken by product meal. How is that a healthy diet for a dog. I'd like to point out that Chicken by product meal is the ONLY meat source in the food. The rest of the ingredients are more crap and vitamins. This suggests that a human could survive off of powdered cellulose, corn, and chicken scraps so long as they take their multivitamin daily. Surviving and thriving are two different things.

Even the biggest brands are not the best, or healthy at all, in many cases. It's all about marketing and advertisement.

I looked at the several varieties of Purina rabbit foods.. all are alfalfa based. I would prefer to feed my rabbit timothy, grass hays, and veggies alone before feeding an alfalfa based food.. so in my opinion Purina is not a food I'd even CONSIDER regardless of price. And the fact that they make crappy dog and cat food.. they have become an untrustworthy company in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back