Preventative Treatment for Bloat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyRabbits

Reaction score
Hi Y'all --

I am a small-scale Flemish Giant rabbit breeder. All this year friends who also breed FG seem to have lost a lot of kits to The Bloat. We finally had our first inevitable case of it in June, losing one. For some reason, FG kits seem more susceptible to it than other breeds, but maybe my perception is skewed just because I know more FG breeders than other breeders.

Anyway, I have recently talked with two breeders who essentially treat preventatively for it, and I am wondering if any one else out there does also and what kind of results they have had.

The first breeder had lost a lot of FG kits until he started treating them with terramycin in the water for weeks 6 and 16. Since he has started doing that he has only lost one kit.

Another breeder, a very experienced French Lop breeder, always treats her rabbits with a few days of duramycin in their water every month, as a general preventative. She has had a very low incidence of bloat and suggests this may be why. If a rabbit gets bloat, she immediately puts it on the duramycin and feeds greens and oats. She has not yet lost a single rabbit to it.

Anyway, I am interested in treating preventatively and would appreciate any feedback you may have on this.

I learned the hard way that yuhave to check your feed for corn content. Anyhow check for it, and switch them to something that doesn't have it, if it does have it in it. adding acid pak 4 way to the water, and feeding the poops from a healthy rabbit will help a bunny recover from bloat. This is something that has been going on for over a year, and its almost always feed related. Terramycin helps if you are dealing with the type of bloat that causes e coli.

Latest posts

Back