Preparing our home-newbie questions on the best beginning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ichabodny

Happy Fall from Morticia Addams!
Reaction score
Question from a newbie about free roam. We are still just preparing for a baby boy mini lop but we have 3 chihuahuas and a fairly large home. We have 4 guinea pigs and have had them the last few years. They free roam in an enclosed room about a couple hours a day and the chihuahuas are used to them- even very friendly and protective of them now.

I would love to have my bunny free roam with a set up area that he can go to for comfort but have some concerns. Our dining room is closed off to the animals so that leaves the living room and kitchen. The upstairs is also baby gated from the chihuahuas.

What I was wondering is if it would be safe enough to have the rabbit free roam in this type of setting with a lot of supervision, particularly at first and what kind of setup would I need for the bunny to just sleep in their space overnight. I had seen a cage I was looking at for this situation but wanted to be certain. Here's the cage below. This is not a photo of mine but one that caught my eye for the purpose. I have watched the threads of cages, etc but a feasible yet acceptable option for us was not found there. If there are any other suggestions, would really love to have them and thank you!buncge.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Your home sounds like it would be safe, as long as your chihuahuas are trained that the bunny is family and not food- which should be easy because they like your guinea pigs. That cage looks a little bit small, something more like an xpen would work better especially if you want to introduce free roaming. @Blue eyes has a great website for learning about rabbits. Setting Up a Cage That picture also isn't my pen but I do have something similar. My xpen has my rabbits litterbox, food and water bowls, hay, and some toys as that's his homebase. The xpen door is never closed unless i'm going out of the house for a long time.

Attachments

• 1588430046176.png
    1588430046176.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thank you so much for your answer! I will check out the thread by Blue Eyes and thank you. I will keep looking at pens and options.

Latest posts

Back