premature rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyfarm

Reaction score
we hav a first time doe that has definately only been wiv 1 buck 2 weeks ago she had her litter 2day her nest is fantastic and all babies r warm n fed what are the chances of this litter surviving n is there anythink we can do 2 help

The fetuses are not viable at 2 weeks into gestation (I've seen them at that point of development).  It's very likely that they were born full term and you miscalculated the breeding date. (Or didn't know about it).

If they are warm and fed, they should do fine.

Pam

Thanks for the advice, but just to clarify that we know that our doe has had no contact with any other buck what soever as she was being saved for our other pure blue frenchie as we didnt want to cross breed her.

We have heard of does getting pregnant through wires (not sure how true this is) and for this reason we kept her isolated from any other bucks we have.

Me and my sister (bunnyfarm) both keep diaries and as it was her buck that was the sire the date was in both of our diaries as may 1st.<

We have had a look at the babies and they are discoloured but perfectly formed.

Sam and Nikki

been and checked on the kits again and are still really warm and pot bellied so we know they are doing well. our concern is rabbits deteriate rather quickly once sick and if there is anything we could do to prevent this happening (especially overnight) we would love any more advice anybody can offer.

sam and nikki

Good management and limiting stress factors are the best ways to help prevent disease.  The doe should be provided with clean, fresh water as well as good quality food.  Good ventilation should also be provided as well as keeping the cage clean and controlling vermin.

Be certain the nesting material is not wet, however, do not remove and clean the entire nest or you will remove the doe's scent that keeps the kits in the nesting area.

6-7 cm is larger than fetuses would be at 2 weeks into gestation.  Do you have any photos?

Pam

No photos as we keeping stress levels down, all of our rabbits have always been kept clean, dry and free from vermin, my husband dedicated the top of our garden which roughly measures at 20 foot by 10 foot to our buns and built them a sort of 3 sided shed so they get plenty of ventilation and protection from the weather we have here in the uk! our early babies are 1 week old today and doing great, mommy is feeding well and we have counted 6 kits, we know they are pure frenchies by the size of them! thanx for any help which was received gratefully!<

Sam and Nikki xx

pamnock wrote:
The fetuses are not viable at 2 weeks into gestation (I've seen them at that point of development).  It's very likely that they were born full term and you miscalculated the breeding date. (Or didn't know about it).

If they are warm and fed, they should do fine.

Pam

I agree Pam.
I had a doe deliver/Miscarry 7 days early - all were alive at the time of kindling (I happened to be there for the morning check & noticed her delivering).  Not 1 survived past 1 hr.  Their skin was so see-through it was almost non-existant... and this was about 3 WEEKS gestation!

I'm willing to bet that either the date was off... or someone bred her without writting it down or telling anyone about it. :?  They sound full term to me.

~Sunshine

now that they have survived i do believe she may have been pregnant before we thought but no 1 purposely mated her, and the dates are definately correct we had both doe and buck from 7 wks old and were waiting for the doe to come of age (9mmonths) like a kid waiting for chistmas!!! (you no how it is when youve got 2 mating buns absolutly perfect 4 each other).

which brings me to my next question do u think it is actually possible for buns to get pregnant through wire?

i just wanna say thankyou for all other advice as well, me and my sister have been breeding for about 18 months its always great 2 have a more experiencd perspective :thanks:

There have been claims of rabbits mating through the wire, but I find it very improbable for the buck to be able to get into a mating position through the wire. 

It only takes a few seconds for a successful mating - more likely "someone" put the rabbits together for a short time. 

If your doe was kept isolated from any other rabbits to prevent breeding through the wire (as you have stated in an earlier post) --there would simply have been no way for a buck to mate with your doe across the room.  Someone "had" to have put them together.

Count 31 days backwards from the day the kits were born, and try to figure out who had access to the rabbits at that time and who was taking care of them so you can prevent any "accidents" from happening again.  You may also want to consider locking the cages.

Pam

Back