pregnant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netty

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to find out if a rabbit is pregnant and how long they are pregnant for :?

Gestation is 28-34 days, and many rabbits showvery little sign. I have a doe that didn't show at all, but gave birthto 5. Another did get really really round and it was very obvious. Hernipples got swollen too. Some does get moody and cranky.

It's sometimes possible, as Carolyn will tell you, to feel little"marbles"on the doe's abdomen, which are the babies. But,I've never been able to find any! I've heard it's difficult and youhave to be careful so you don't hurt mom or babies.

I'm guessing from your ":?" that this was an accident! Most matings arevery quick and do indeed result in pregnancy. They are prolific littlecritters!

Not being a breeder, I arrange litters rarely,only to replaceone of my own bunnies. I've raised three litters from birth, and twowere planned (one was a borrowed pregnant doe--surprise!). So I wasable to be fairly surethe girls werepregnant andcount days exactly, making it mucheasier to take care of them.

Up to a week before birth, a doe will make a hay nest in her sleepingbox (or that's where it's supposed to be!!). Right before labor, she'llline it with fur. A first-time mom may not do these things, but many do.

I hope it goes well if she is pregnant!!

Rose

thanks for the info i just hope everything goes well will keep u posted :)

The best time to palpate for babies is at 14 dayswhen the feti are about the size and consistency of grapes.At earlier stages, contents of the intestines may be mistaken for feti,and at later stages, the feti may be hard to distinguish from otherorgans. At 14 days, the feti are low in the abdomen towardsthe rear of the pelvisand rather easy to distinguish fromother organs. The kidneys are up high near the spinal cord(higher than you would be feeling for feti at this stage), the uterusfeels like a blob of clay and a full bladder has the feel of aballoon. The intestines feel rather soft. Fecalpellets will feel likepeas in a row in theintestines. Unformed material in the intestines has apasty/soft clay feel.

Other organs are contained in the rib cage and would not be easily confused for feti.

With practice, using palpating to determine pregnancy has a very high accuracy rate.

Other methods, such as the behavior of the doe are not always good indicators of pregnancy.

Pam

Back