Pregnant or Not

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitluvr04

Reaction score
Is my rabbit pregnant? Her stomach is very hard.Is she pregnant? She was with a male for about 20 minutes a couple ofweeks ago. I hope she is!

oh, and bellies can be hard for a number of reasons. Like too many greens, for one. Some does don't show.

But she'sprobably pregnant.

Rose

*Exactly* how many days ago was she exposed to a buck? Was she with the buck at any other time before that?

Pam

Was the the "accident" you mentioned a coupleweeks ago? Sounds like babies are coming. The timing is about right, abit early. Some does try and make a nest around this time, others waituntil right before the birth.

Any fur pulling? Swollen nipples?

Rose

P.S. One of my does looked like a basketball when she waspregnant--big, round, orange. She was miserably uncomfortablebeforehand, and moody and jumpy. Another didn't show at all and actednormal.

It sounds like she may be pregnant, but it's hardto know the date the kits are due when you didn't write down the dateshe was with the buck. Rabbit gestation is 31 days.

Pam

The easiest way to determine a pregnant rabbit is to palpate...

1) Place the rabbit on a flat surface facing toward you.
2) With your left hand, hold the rabbit firmly (I hold the ears and scruff of the shoulders in a firm, but gentle fist)
3) With your right hand, reach up under her belly from the side. Make a"cup" with your fingers upwards (thumb on one side of rabbit, 4 fingerson the other side of rabbit, belly resting in the middle, palm of yourhand).
4) With your fingers and thumb, gently, but Firmly squeeze her bellyfrom just above the genitals right on up to just under her rib cage.Don't be afraid to really dig in there, sometimes it's really hard tofeel them in there. You will be feeling for any large round "balls".Easiest description of the feel of fetus in the womb is a grape. Feelsfirm, but slightly squishy... and depending on how far along she is, itcould even be that size.

Some rabbits will tense up and try to get away at first, but be patientand persistant... One way or another, you need to find out if there'sanything in there.

Now, since you said she has been with a buck about 3 weeksago, full term fetus's are larger and you will be able todefinately feel a head... Think of a Large Jawbreaker.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

Warmest Welcome SunnieBunnie Rabbitry! :dude:

That was a great explanation! It helps a lot, even for us that don't have pregnant bunnies.

Thank you.

Please jump in anywhere. Hope you enjoy the forum.

:)

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Warmest Welcome SunnieBunnie Rabbitry! :dude:

That was a great explanation! It helps a lot, even for us that don't have pregnant bunnies.

Thank you.

Please jump in anywhere. Hope you enjoy the forum.

-Carolyn

Thank you for the warm welcome Carolyn! :D

Hopefully I can help outsome of the pet owners herewithsome of mybreederknowledge andresources:)

~Sunshine

We sure Welcome you here, SunnieBunnie!

Trust me, we all will appreciate anything you have to share. We havebreeders here as well and we're extremely grateful for their knowledge.

Our breeders teach us so much; and our pet owners teach us just asmuch. One teaches us about the begining of the rabbit's life while theother teaches us about the geriatric rabbit. I'm so glad you found us.

By the way, that's an absolutely Adorable Avatar. Great name for a rabbitry too.

-Carolyn

Thank You, that Avatar/logo was madewith a kit out of my 2nd litter (my first Lynx litter.) Hername was Willow, but she has since been sold.

I breed and show Mini Rex in all variations of chocolate.... Chocolate,Lilac, Lynx, and Chocolate based Red Eye Whites. All of mybuns are Genotyped, in other words... there are no surprises in eachlitter, I know exactly what colors the babies will be. Ifanyone was curious... my website ishttp://www.SunnieBunnieRabbitry.comso few breeders do Lynx, but it's such a beautiful variety.

Oh, Rex babies! What's the definition of Lynx?

Cute!

Rose

P.S. in case you hadn't noticed from the avatar, I havea thing for Palominos! Another little-used breed.

Actually, I raise Mini Rex... they're the smaller 4 pound version of the Rex.

Thecurrent description ofLynxas stated in the ARBA Standard of Perfection:

The surface color of the top and the sides of the body is to be apale fawn; which is lightly tipped with Lilac. Theintermediate band is to be as bright a fawn as possible, clearlydefined over white undercolor. The chest is to be a palefawn, clearly defined over a white undercolor. The upper sideof the tail is to be Lilac, sparsely ticked with pale fawn, over anoff-white undercolor. The belly, the eye circles, the jowls,the insides of the ears, and the underside of the tail are to bewhite. Eyes -- Blue-Gray.

Here are some color photo's:

Resized_JordynSide.jpg
Resized_JordynRing.jpg
Resized_Mac0004.jpg

Side Profile, Ring Color, and a Closeup of the Ring color

It's just a beautiful variety, my favorite.

I had an oversize Mini Rex a few years ago, andthey are so cute. He was a purebred who just kept growing. The Lynxesare gorgeous--any head shots?

Rose

Oh, yeah...LOL.. sorry :shock::D

This is Jordyn... He needs one more win and he's registerable as aGrand Champion. He was my very first Mini Rex that I got....and once his show career ends, and he is no longer producingoffspring... he will have a nice long retirement here. :)Every morning when I go out to feed, he always greets me at the cagedoor with "Bunny Kisses" and a romp around his cage followed by more"Bunny Kisses". :D

Resized_Jordyn1.jpg
Resized_Jordyn2.jpg
Resized_JordynHead.jpg

Latest posts

Back