Pregnant New zealand!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mufawufa

Mufawufa
Reaction score
Hello!

New to this forum! We bred our New Zealand doe 9 days ago. This is my first time breeding. Im just about positive she is pregnant as she has become Very grumpy! She growls and lunges when entering or walking by her cage...she never did this before. She is almost 3 years. Bought her off another breeder and this will be her 4th litter.

My biggest concern is I put straw in her nest box and she removed it and built a nest on the floor of her cage?! The box is built into the cage but two walls are exposed with just wire. Should I cover them with cardboard to make it more private? Not sure if that will change her mind to use the box as her nest. What can I do to encourage her to nest there?

If she was only bred 9 days ago it's too early too put in a next box and it would be very strange if she was building a nest this early, maybe she was just playing in the straw. I would not put the next box in until 28 days into the pregnancy to prevent her using it as a litter box, if the nest box has high sides on it that provides privacy then that's great and if not then yes I would put some walls up around the sides to make her more comfortable but I think the main reason she is not using to nest yet is just that it is far too early.
Goodluck

I agree with Cookiesandcream

It's a little to early to out the box in. Put it in on day 28. If the doe is still making the best in that spot, cover up the box attached to the cage, and put her nest in the box and put the box where she out the nest.

~Breeding Quality Holland Lops Since 2012~

Latest posts

Back