Pregnant female

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alana245

Reaction score
So back story I have a 2.5 year old neutered male and I’ve recently adopted a possibly pregnant female who is bonded and lives with my male. If my female is pregnant can they still live together or will my male hurt or kill the babies?

I don't think that would be much of a problem. None of my (intact) males - countrary to some does from another group than the litter - ever showed any aggression against kits. Rabbits of the same group normally aren't a problem, kits at 2-6 weeks can be one but that's another issue. And bucks usually are way more relaxed about territory and hierachy than does - as long as no other mature male is involved.
Charactars can be quite different, so keep an eye on them.

It might help to create a territory with the nestbox in it that is the does alone, by only giving her access to it for some time every day, and keep her there alone when she kindles and most of the time the next 2 days, at least around dusk and dawn so she can get used to nurse the kits undisturbed. I don't like seperating them for too long, although I never had an issue.

I keep breeding does in pairs, when there is already an older litter I add a third hutch to their complex by tunnel which I designate to the doe that's about to kindle.

Keep an eye on your boy though, if he pesters the doe. Although he is neutered there might be some vague memory about why bucks get most horny around does that just kindled. That's why I would seperate him when the time comes, and partly a day or two afterwards, to give the doe some rest to recover and to feed undisturbed.

That's an old pic of a kit that got into my previous bucks front yard through the fence, buck is cool. By now there is a spayed cuddlebun with my buck which attacks any other rabbit she sees in the front yard, kit or not.

Attachments

• Herr Hase with stray kit 2018.JPG
    Herr Hase with stray kit 2018.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
Back