Pregnant Doe Advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

introoder

Reaction score
So, Aiko made a boo-boo. Beatrix and Kiddo were out together for two minute as I cleaned out the trays, and what-do-ya-know, the second I look up, he's doing the grunt and falling off. Totally immature of me, I know. It's a month early to start breeding, but alas, it's started. XD

So, as of two day ago (day 12), I could feel three. Today, I could only feel one, but Bea's being so fussy, I didn't really have time to feel better. I need to stop palpating, I know, so that was the last time. It'd just help if I new what she had to deal with.

She'll be four and a half months old when she kindles, but she's decent sized. From what I heard, she'll make it through. I'd love for the kits to make it, but whatever happens, happens. I kind of almost wish they don't, so I can breed her at the correct time, with my other doe (who's coming into the rabbitry next weekend. After quarintine time, she's ready to go), for fostering purposes.

Anywho. What advice does anyone have for me? There's so much information out there, but most of it contradicts the rest of it, so I'm kind of stuck.

There is SO much advice that anyone could give you, and you're right...it contradicts it self, because everyone has different opinions.

But if you have any specific questions, that may help us to guide you in the right direction! :)

Okay. to start it off:

Any changes in feed?
Are there handling restraints? My rabbits are my pets, and my show/4H bunnies, so they get 3 hours of free roam time, and lots of handling. Should this stop with her? she's fairly content either way, as long as she has stuff (like cardboard boxes) to tear up.
Appropriate nest box size and a good picture example? I need to start one soon.

More as I think of it. XD

Keep feeding her the same amount of feed until about the week before she delivers, then you can start gradually increasing it. She should be free-fed right after she has the babies to help bring her milk in.

I wouldn't handle her at all. When my does are pregnant the only handling I do is to palpate them and that is it unless I need to remove them from the cage for cleaning or something like that. Otherwise I leave them alone. ;)

What breed is she? That will help determine what size of nest box she needs.

Emily

To add onto the handling-

I agree, I try not to handle my does too much when they are pregnant. There is no reason you can't if you need to move them around, but I just think they're more comfortable when their bellies aren't squished around.

However, if you have her cage in the house and she can get in and out herself, there's no reason you need to decrease roam time. She can still jump in and out and run around. Exercise is not a problem! :)

She's actually been free-fed up until this point. I was just going to switch her to the 1/4 cup, and then this happened, so I didn't want to change anything. She doesn't eat too many pellet anyways, and would much rather eat her hay instead. Still switch it and increase it back? Or jut let her keep eating?

She's a netherland dwarf, btw.

As far as the exercise goes, thanks! I'll keep letting her out. Since they only share the upstairs with me, they get get (separate) time out. I just leave the cage door open, and they're usually out in seconds, running as fast as they can in circles around their room. And no worries. everything was rat-proofed before, any not much had to change to bunny proof it. XDD

Can you tell the differece??? Because I am going threw the same thing with you... I caught mine buck on my doe on the 10th, and my girl is 16+weeks old..

Keep feeding her the amount your feeding her now. ;)

You're not letting them exercise together still are you? When they were out together the first time, was that the only time they'd been together?

Emily

Oh no! They're never allowed out together. I was just in a rush, and put her on top of the cage, and him running around the room for two minutes, while I emptied out their pans, thinking he'd be stupid enough to not notice, and fwee, babies. >.>; Big mistake on my part. Any other time they're out together, is when family's over and holding them.

When I first brought her home, at 7 weeks, she used to be able to chill with him on the couch under supervision. The second he started deciding she was ready to mate with, they instantly got separated and no more together time. (They were always in separate cages. I kinda feel like a douche, because I totally bonded them, and then like... Ripped them apart. First time owner's mistake, I guess.)

To Misty:
Yes, I most certainly can. I can also feel that the doe's gained weight. But yeah. I've followed the growth since day 9, when I first felt them. Now their uber solid, kinda olive shaped masses. I can feel one baby for sure, and up to two more, if they aren't organs. I'm not really sure.

Oh, a note on the doe and buck separate thing... Day 10, just to see, I let them out together for a brief second. While she let him get on her in the long run, she was grunting up a storm... And that's coming from a rabbit I've never heard ANYTHING from. I kinda knew my luck was out at that point. XDD Now she's doing the same whenever I put my hand in the cage. >.>; Grunting up a storm. I've gotten bitten a few times, too. Pisses me off, but I know it's just... The situation.

Bleh.

Latest posts

Back