Pregnant Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubbybun

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member who needs some help! I havebeen a bunny owner before, but always with one at a time. About threeweeks ago, I took two rabbits, year old male and female from the samelitter off a clients hands. They have separate dwellings with me, but Ihave recently noticed that the female is showing signs of pregnancy. Itis possible that the two had not always been separated before coming tome, and since neither have yet been neutered, it is very possible thatthis is not a false pregnancy. If the mating took place sometimebetween three and four weeks ago, when can I expect a litter? willthere be problems because they are litter mates? Is is possible thatthe nest building and enlarged genital area are a false pregnancy? Anyadvice would be appriciated!

Well, gestation is about 31 days give or take, ifshe is pulling out her fur expect babies soon. This is fromwhat I've been told anyway.

I could also use some help here, since Thursday Vladimir has beennesting, her belly is bare already adn she has a nice cozy nest builtin her nest box but still no babies. My concern is that ifshe eats them will there be proof remaining that she had them, just sothat I know she had them?? She still seems to be working onher nest bringing extra hay in and making it more rounded like aburrow. Also what I used for her nest box is a platic tote,one of the ones that opens on top but also has a side door, she seemsto like it and I can check on her without disturbinganything. I would love any advice here thanks.

Thank you for responding, mom2many! yay! Babiessoon! Despite my worries about the parents being litter mates, I'mreally looking forward to raising rabbits from birth. I hope they turnout healthy. I also hope Nubby (the mom) doesn't eat them like you weresuggesting might happen with Vladimir. As for signs of birth, Nubby's"birthing area" is very swollen and I imagine that after the birth itwill reduce, so that may be one sign. Does Vladimir have the sameissue? I hope this is normal- am I'm trying to research it to make surethat she is healthy.:

Welcome NubbyBun and Mom2Many,

I'm not a breeder, but I have picked up a few tips from them that I'm passing on below.

The gestation period can go from 28-32 days; however, a friend ofmine's rabbit just gave birth on Day 34. During this time and whilenursing, you should be giving your female as many pellets and freshwater as she wants.

It's highly possibly, NubbyBun, that your two were bred withoutrealizing it. If you weren't there, we can't know, and even then, ifyou blink, you could miss it.

Some females go through false pregnances whereas they build the nest,pull the fur, etc., but since your "little one's" abdomen is largerthan usual, I'd plan on babies.

One has to be careful that babies are not born on the wire and remainthere. You have to move the babies into the nestbox right away for themother to feed them and for them to stay warm. It's okay to pick themup and put them in the nestbox. They're not like birds in that if thekits (baby rabbits) have your scent on them, they won't feed them.

Does generally feed their babies once a day, and it's usually just atdawn around 5 a.m. You should check the babies every morning to be surethey are still in the nestbox and see if they look like they swalloweda ping-pong ball and are warm.

If their bellies aren't round, it's a sign that the mother isn'tfeeding them and you'll have to help them along. Ask if that happens.

Usually, there isn't a problem if they were litter mates.

Greetings Mom2Many,

Your baby girl could have a false pregnancy going on. I don't know howmany days she's into this, but if her abdomen isn't noticeably larger,she's probably fakin it. A friend of mine's rabbit had hundreds offalse pregnancies.

If she is pregnant and it's her first litter, some do eat them notknowing what it is that is coming out of her. No one really knows whysome rabbits do that.

As long as you just keep an eye out so that the babies are put in theirnestbox immediately, I'm willing to bet everything will be fine.

:)

Now you both have us hooked, you've gotta keep us posted as to what happens. Many thanks.

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn, I got all five of our bunnies ongood friday and was told that molassis might be expecting but that wasthe only one. Then when we get them home not even one weeklater vladimir starts nesting, she doesn't have a big tummy and doesnt'even look pregnant, molassis looks pregnant her tummy and almost entirebody looks big. As for her birhting area being swollen Ihaven't checked I'm worried that too much handeling might hurt her orthe babies. They weren't handled at all with the previousowner. I also have no idea when they might be due.At least with my mini lop I'm expecting for around the 9th of may or so.

Hi Mom2Many,

I can tell what a wonderful person you are because your words are right from the heart.

These people that give/sell rabbits that they know nothing about really frustrate me!

You keep your loving eye on things. I have full confidence that youwon't miss a trick. Keep us posted as to any new behaviors. Sometimesthe female will go off her feed a day before she gives birth.

We'll all go through this together. We have a great group here and where one leaves off, another will pick up.

-Carolyn

Thanks again Carolyn,In our home ouranimals are a part of the family, all of them. I have a forumgroup I talk on about my ball pythons and it is great to have foundthis one to help learn more about the care of our bunnies. Iwill definately let everyone know when the babies do finally make theirappearance!:)

Hey Mom2many, I also have a bunny, mini lop, and aball python. It's nice to know someone else has a snake and a bunny intheir family. What is the address to your forum? I currently useredtailboas.com. I have also enjoyed this forum and the members quickresponses. Thanks guys.

Good Luck! Hope the babies have a home if you're unable to keep them. Wouldn't want them to become snake bait.

Should that be the case, I understand that one can cull the bunny first so that it doesn't have to suffer.

Do tell us how it all works out, Mom2Many. Your love of all animalscomes through, and I know you're concerned about the little ones.

-Carolyn

The reptile forum I'm on iswww.ssnakess.com it isgreat and deals with all reptiles.

We have already got requests for the baby bunnies but if some are borndead, or die of natural causes they could be fed to thesnakes. Hopefully though all of our babies will make it andgo as pets. I do know people that use them as food for theirvarious reptiles. Currently my snakes eat mice but they arecapable of eating rabbits. Some snakes and reptiles get sobig you basically have to feed them rabbits, my friend has a snake thatwill eat 2 large rabbits in a meal, she is 15ft in length though andweighs 170lbs mice and rats wouldn't even be an appetizer toher. My largest is currently 2 1/2 lbs and might get as bigas 15 lbs but that is considered huge by the breed standard!My friend breeds the rabbits himself for her and his wife occasionally'rescues' them and gives them away as pets to herfriends. Also they are humanely euthanized beforebeing fed tohis snakes so that they don't suffer atall. I honestly don't know if I could do it though.

Thankyou guys, for the help. Nubby has been verythirsty for the past week, going through her water bottle twice as fastas her brother, Mr. Bun. Someone mentioned something in another forumtopic about pregnant rabbits needing extra hay during the last week- isthis timothy, alfalfa, or regular bale hay? i want to give my littlemommy everything she needs to have a comfortable pregnancy!

Nubbybun,

If she's drinking lots of water, extended abdomen, making a nest, she'sprobably very close to having those babies. Because her thirst is sostrong, you may offer her a slice of apple or celery.

Alfalfa Hay during pregnancy is what some prefer, but keep it away from the babies. It's too rich for them.

Mom2Many,

Thanks for that note. You've taught me something I didn't know.

Do keep us in-the-loop as to if your family grows or it was just a false alarm.

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn. I will have to try the celery, sherejected apple slices. By the way, does anyone know, if it is true thatapple seeds are poisonous to buns?

Aha! I knew I remembered reading something likethat once. Glad I cut the apples into slices. I guess always best toerr on the side of caution.

Dearest Laura,

I'm constantly amazed at the Quick Study you are.

You are indeed a valuable member of this forum.

:dude:

-Carolyn

lol, when I left my bunnies with my sister lastsummer I did some quick research on what they can't eat and why so mysister didn't accidentally poison them. :)

Thanks for the compliment. :)Very glad you like my advice and information.

M&SMom,

You got Mana, Girl. You've got Big Time Mana! ;)

NubbyBun,

Saw in your note to Dootsmom that you're in the Northeast too. Would that by chance be Medway, Mass?

Could you, would you, come to the Beach Bunnies 2004 party? Look at thepost and see if it'd be possible. You're whole family is Most Welcome.So far, we've got 9 bunnies and about 13 people.

-Carolyn

*scratches her head* When did I get that? lol, last I checked I didn't have mana.

Anyways, it doesn't matter, I'm just glad I can help people with their bunnies. :)

Laura

hey carolyn, thanks for the invite! that soundscool. We have never yet let the buns run out on the lawn, only in anenclosed porch or in the house. Would they run away at the beach? Maybejust Mr Bun could go with us, nubby is a little skittish. And we mighthave one or two little bunnys to consider... :)

Latest posts

Back