Pregnant Bun!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amelia1star

Reaction score
I have a pregnant mini lop right now.. She is due in a few days an I don't have a nest box for her. Will the babies be ok without one? I live in Wisconsin and it isn't that cold out right now(50 degrees). Please let me know what you think... And if you think it's too cold for them outside should I bring them in?

Baby rabbits are born without hair and will freeze to death if they are not huddled together and in mom's fur. You need to find some type of box for her to have them in or they most likely will not make it

Agree, newborns are very sensitive to temps and need to be protected. If you can't find a box for the doe to make a nest in then bring her in to kindle.

it is SO easy to make a nestbox.

Buy an appropriate sized rubbermaid container. Leave the lid on. Cut a bunny sized hole on the side of the container and BAM. nestbox.

OR get a smaller dishpan, put a couple holes in the side and ziptie to the side of the cage to prevent it from being tipped (as they are rather lightweight). and BAM nestbox.

OR find a piece of plywood cut it into appropriate sized pieces. for mini lop I'd do 8-x 10 for the bottom and six inches high all round. Grab some nails and plug them into appropriate spots and you have a more solid nestbox. Drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage. :)

Not hard to throw something together. :) Keeps the babies contained. Give it to her a couple days before she is due and watch her have fun with the nest building.

MIND. all this is a moot point if you have a solid bottomed cage and have given her a whole whack of straw or hay. If so she'll be building a lovely nest using those fine ingredients and her babies will be just fine. :)

Also if you can't get a box, the best option is to let her best in her bedding area in her cage. I had to do that with a doe who just gave birth with no warning signs I didn't even know she was pregnant but just let her nest somewhere or make a. Eat yourself and being them inside... And hand raise or bring mum in too

Latest posts

Back