Quantcast

Pre-show rituals

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

DharmaBuns

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2011
Messages
296
Reaction score
52
Location
Traverse City, MI, , USA
I was wondering what everyone's pre-show rituals are? When do you trim toenails? When do you start feeding a conditioner, such as calf-manna, or Show Bloom? When do you start really grooming them thoroughly?

I was planning on trimming my rabbit's nails 2 weeks beforehand, and also start really grooming them and plan on getting them back on the calf-manna at that point as well.
 

majorv

Supporting Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
3,383
Reaction score
658
Location
Texas
Our rabbits don't require much grooming except to brush out any dead hair. Trimming nails acouple of weeks before show seasonstarts is a good idea sothetrimmed edges canwear down a little so they aren't so sharp. If we decide to give conditioners we usually start about 30 days before we start showing.
 

DharmaBuns

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2011
Messages
296
Reaction score
52
Location
Traverse City, MI, , USA
majorv wrote:
Our rabbits don't require much grooming except to brush out any dead hair. Trimming nails acouple of weeks before show seasonstarts is a good idea sothetrimmed edges canwear down a little so they aren't so sharp. If we decide to give conditioners we usually start about 30 days before we start showing.
Oooooh, 30 days? What do you usually use as a conditioner? I use calf-manna, but I've heard a lot of people use Show Bloom or Doc's Rabbit Enhancer. I've never tried those. Are they better, or should I use them WITH them CM?
 

mistyjr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2009
Messages
3,907
Reaction score
3
Location
, Michigan, USA
I dont use conditioner, Just oats every other day or once a week, I groomed my rabbits when they needed to be, I checked my rabbits nails about every week, I raise mini rex's and their nails grows fast, I make sure their nails are cut before an show, I have heard judges get kinda mad about their nails behind very long like razors.
 

majorv

Supporting Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
3,383
Reaction score
658
Location
Texas
I used calf manna last year but I didn't see a lot of improvement. My rabbits loved the stuff, almost to the point where they would eat that and leave their pellets. After that I decided not to use it this year. I'm trying Doc's right now. They don't like it nearly as much as the calf manna but they're eating it.I haven't decided if it works for me. You could use rolled oats or black oil sunflower seeds to help with coat/condition. They can be a little more fattening so you don't want to overfeed it.
 

BlueCamasRabbitry

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Messages
5,067
Reaction score
9
Location
Thurston County, Washington, USA
Conditioning is always something I'm stumped on. I'm always worried it will cause them to molt instead of making them feel/look nice. Right now the only one on any 'conditioners' is my OLD old senior buck, Magic. He is on calf manna, oats, & blackoil sunflower seeds (though he doesn't like those...:grumpy:) to help him with weight. He has been on this for a while now and I've seen no improvement. :?

I trim toenails usually a week or two before the show; but usually nail trims are done as needed as I take rabbits out of their cages on a daily basis and notice they need a trim. So at most shows I will go through and clip everyone's toenails before the show starts.

I'll brush everyone a daily a few days before the show, or daily for several weeks if they're molting, and then also the day of the show several times a day.

Emily
 

majorv

Supporting Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
3,383
Reaction score
658
Location
Texas
How old is 'OLD'? Some breeds age better than others. Like, Tans are in their prime show shape when they're juniors to young seniors (under 9 months). We tried showing our 1 1/2 yr old buck a couple of times and the judge told us he was way past his prime for showing. Conditioners aren't going to help in that regard. Some other breeds can be shown long past that point. We have a Brit who was almost 2 yrs oldand he got BOV at a show.
 

DharmaBuns

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2011
Messages
296
Reaction score
52
Location
Traverse City, MI, , USA
majorv wrote:
How old is 'OLD'?  Some breeds age better than others.  Like, Tans are in their prime show shape when they're juniors to young seniors (under 9 months).  We tried showing our 1 1/2 yr old buck a couple of times and the judge told us he was way past his prime for showing.  Conditioners aren't going to help in that regard.  Some other breeds can be shown long past that point.  We have a Brit who was almost 2 yrs old and he got BOV at a show. 
Yes this does happen with the Tans and its unfortunate. It would be nice if they were a breed that was able to be shown for much longer. My black SR buck has been doing pretty well at shows though and he's 1.5 years old. I probably won't show him again in the spring though if I get some nice babies.
 

majorv

Supporting Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
3,383
Reaction score
658
Location
Texas
Yea, there are always exceptions to the rule.;) They can still be nice but it's hard to compete with a nice junior. When we started showing Tans there were only 3 other breeders in the state who even showed. We were lucky to have 3 breeders come to a showin orderto qualify for legs. Now interest is growing, which is great, but its also more competitive.
 

DharmaBuns

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2011
Messages
296
Reaction score
52
Location
Traverse City, MI, , USA
majorv wrote:
Yea, there are always exceptions to the rule.;) They can still be nice but it's hard to compete with a nice junior. When we started showing Tans there were only 3 other breeders in the state who even showed. We were lucky to have 3 breeders come to a showin orderto qualify for legs. Now interest is growing, which is great, but its also more competitive.
So true! The last show I went to had some AMAZING juniors, and I couldn't help but drool over them! hehe. I don't mind though, since really I'm just getting in to the whole hobby. We actually have quite a few Tan breeders here in Michigan, and they all seem to be really really good, so it's a bit intimidating. Not sure how well my little ones will do this upcoming year with such stiff competition!
 

BlueCamasRabbitry

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Messages
5,067
Reaction score
9
Location
Thurston County, Washington, USA
majorv wrote:
How old is 'OLD'?  Some breeds age better than others.  Like, Tans are in their prime show shape when they're juniors to young seniors (under 9 months).  We tried showing our 1 1/2 yr old buck a couple of times and the judge told us he was way past his prime for showing.  Conditioners aren't going to help in that regard.  Some other breeds can be shown long past that point.  We have a Brit who was almost 2 yrs old and he got BOV at a show. 
He's a Holland/Dutch cross that is 6 years or older, don't know his exact age. ;) He's elder, I should say. ;)

Emily
 
Top