Prayers for Nigel, please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the proud daddy this morning? I'm hoping he's OK and not too mad at you once he gets home ;) He has a lot of people cheering for him! :hug:

:group:

Hey all - just back from work and about to leave again to go get Nigel!

They said he was up and about, and eating pellets, so they're happy for him to come home tonight.

Got some quizzing to do though, to find out what happened..

He's home!

And not in a great mood.. :p

His little face is all pink on the side, where the blood's stained his fur... :? They said that.... they'd found some slight spurs on his back teeth, and were just rasping them down after they'd done the surgery, and Nigel came around quicker than they expected and tried to get up whilst they were doing it, and that made them catch the vessel at the back of his mouth. Apparently rabbits have a blood vessel very close to the surface right at the back of their mouths and that just happened to get caught.

I think it was just a genuine accident because Nigel was too eager to wake up. :p

But he's doing great, looking good, very happy to be home!

Oh gosh, poor little Nigel! Imagine how painful and scary that was for him, he was asleep and then started waking up with scary strangers hurting his teeth then his throat suddenly hurt and he was bleeding and choking :( Poor little dear. Very understandable if he's not in a good mood, what an ordeal for him. I'm so glad he's relatively okay!

Oh, did they have to stitch the blood vessel shut or anything? Is there a risk of it re-opening like if the scab comes off? Gosh that must be unpleasant!

They didn't stitch or anything, and I'm guessing with it being inside his mouth it won't scab.. they said if it was going to start bleeding again it would have by now, so he should be safe.

Yikes! How scary... poor Nigel! :shock: I'm so glad to hear he's ok though.... I know you were at work and couldn't update but I worried all day about him!

Did they charge you for the spurs, and staying overnight etc?

How scary!!! I take Patrick and Luna in every eight weeks for dental grinds. I am very confident in the vet that takes care of them, but this is only a reminder of what could happen at any time.I was told about the blood vessel and how dangerous it could be, but that is all they go in for.I will have to start saying extra prayers when my bunners go in.

Poor little Nigel. I do hope he heals quickly. :pray:

myheart

Wow, talk about trying to do something nice and it backfiring! I feel bad for the veterinary staff. They were just trying to be nice and make his little teeth all nice and smooth. He was just impatient!

I feel terrible for Nigel, but it's great that he's home and OK!

OUCH! That poor little guy!

Just to kind of help comfort you...I've been there with rabbits under anesthesia that start to twitch a little. And they metabolize medicine...well, to be honest....at probably about the speed of light. It varies from rabbit to rabbit as well- some will be completely knocked out forever under a certain combination; another will be waking up in 20 minutes after its given and start twitching/beginning to wake up. Just be glad they got him back under and fixed his problem!

Sending healing vibes to the little guy.

Back