Prayers for Mookie Moonpie please (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saffy

Reaction score
9 Ladies Stone Circle - Derbyshire, , United King
My sweet little Mini Lop is now at the vets ... came home this evening and she just wasn't the same.

She had been losing weight and I took her to the vets who thought perhaps it was her front teeth that were overlylong, so she clipped them there and then.

Mookie has been eating ok and drinking but this morning seemed a bit off .. I put it down to cleaning out the cage and moving it to another position .. thought she was a bit put out with the change.

Tonight though, she was so unlike herself. Normally she is a devil to catch and is is forever binkying around and not wanting to be picked up and held. This time, she just sat there while I picked her up .. she seemed really light and floppy .. and as I put her back in to the run she just sat and shook and didn't move. Very very not like her ..

I took her to the vet who checked her all over. He said her stomach was very squidgy and she was very dehydrated as her fur wasn't fliking back into place when you pulled it away a little. (We had fed her water earlier from a bottle but she was too lethargic to drink)

He is keeping her in. Has started to hydrate her and put her on anti biotics and is putting her on metoclopramide.

Her body temp was low too.

Please .. prayers and thoughts .. I know, if anything, your thoughts and prayers can help.

:pray:

He says if this doesnt help he will organise an x ray and sedate her and try and ease the gas from her stomach with a pipe as it could also be bloat.

:pray::pray:

I am not familiar with the method you described to relieve bloat so I hope some other members can comment on it. I am also not a fan of using gut motility drugs like metoclopramide without an x-ray being conducted prior, but that is a decision between you and your vet. Is she pooping and/or eating at all?

Oh no, best wishes for Mookie! I remember when she first came to you.

This doesn't sound like bloat. The appetite slowdown from a tooth issue in the first place could have caused the digestive upset that led to all this, although it could be something else that caused the slowdown.

Hopefully the vet has warmed her body temp so she's better able to take fluids and nutrients. Warmth, hydration and a few calories to ward off liver issues are very very necessary.

The tube method to relive gas and pressure is only used in extreme cases when the tummy bloats up and extends out very abnormally, which happens with true bloat.

Hope she's okay after the first line of treatment. :(

sas :pray:

Pipp wrote:
Oh no, best wishes for Mookie! I remember when she first came to you.

This doesn't sound like bloat. The appetite slowdown from a tooth issue in the first place could have caused the digestive upset that led to all this, although it could be something else that caused the slowdown.

Hopefully the vet has warmed her body temp so she's better able to take fluids and nutrients. Warmth, hydration and a few calories to ward off liver issues are very very necessary.

The tube method to relive gas and pressure is only used in extreme cases when the tummy bloats up and extends out very abnormally, which happens with true bloat.

Hope she's okay after the first line of treatment. :(

sas :pray:

Ok ... Well I am going to ring first thing they open. We don't have any rabbit savvy vets around where I live but he did go and check up on the internet after he felt her stomach as he said he had never felt one like it.

The X Ray showed some gas but not a lot, so should I ask him to leave that for today and just keep her hydrated, warm and fed in some way?

Latest posts

Back