Prayers For Beatrix and Babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlopsyBunnies4

Reaction score
Hello,

My bunny, Beatrix, suddenly stopped eating and pooping yesterday morning. I tried throughout the day to get her feeling better but ended up rushing her to the emergency vet after she stopped moving around and was grinding her teeth (ie: ) guessing bloat or GI stasis. They kindly brought her in even though they were not allowing new patients from 7pm-7am (it was 7:30pm). She was cold, her belly seemed distended, and in a lot of pain. They started her on IV fluids, pain medication, and put her under a heat lamp.

This morning, the vet called, she said Beatrix had improved and was doing much better. She has a normal temp, her belly is no longer distended, and she has perked up. They said she was getting stressed out from the noise and mover her out of critical care to exotics. They kept her on fluids but coaxed her with syring food and she nibbled on some hay. The vet said she would like to see more improvement and wanted Beatrix to be eating more hay and pooping before sending her home. She is still not out of the woods but doing much better.

Background: Beatrix currently has two little babies who are 2.5 weeks old. We managed to feed them milk replacer today and they seem to be doing OK. When giving birth, she retained a live kit and birthed it two days afterwards, it didn't make it. She is a super-mom and has had huge, healthy litters before.

The bigger problem is they are guessing there is an underlying complication that caused her to get sick in the first place. I'm hoping she had too many treats and pellets and not enough hay, so that's the cause of the blockage/stasis. They said there could be a complication from the birth either causing the difficulty or the effects from the birth that is just showing up now. They did bloodwork and found some inflammation, in case of infection, they put her on antibiotics. Hopefully, it'll help get on top of the cause of inflammation. The vet is planning to do an ultrasound tomorrow, and if they find anything concerning they will spay her, even though it could be risky given her current state of health.

The ultrasound is very pricey and they said nothing may show up anyways. If she improves overnight, we may be able to take her home tomorrow and wait a few weeks for her to recover before spaying. There is the risk if we don't do the ultrasound, that she could have a problem (infection or blockage), that could be very harmful if the antibiotics don't take care of it and we don't catch it. I'm so torn as any path seems to have risks and Beatrix means the world to me. It is also all very pricey and adding up fast! I really want to help her but we need to pick and choose too.

I hope it is a good sign she has improved today and fingers crossed she will be ok. I love her so very much and she is the strongest, bravest bunny I know. Please pray she will pull through and there are no underlying complications. I would love your input on what you think would be best for her. Thanks!

Update: She pooped! The vet said she had two little poops this morning which is a good sign and means things are moving. However, the vet said she is still not eating as much as she would have liked. We decided not to do the ultrasound as she has improved, and hope to pick her up at noon. We will be giving her critical care food (they said she doesn't have a blockage) and monitoring her closely. We will need to give her 7 more injections of antibiotics and I'm a little nervous as I have never done that before!

They advised us to take her back to get more bloodwork next week to see if the inflammation has gone down. I'm very thankful she is doing better. I can't wait to see my little bea-bun!

That's great news! I'm glad she's doing better. I hope her babies are still doing fine as well. Injections aren't too difficult once you get the hang of it. Along with your vets instruction, maybe try watching a few youtube videos to help get you more familiar with the procedure.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Medicating_your_rabbit

Thanks!

She is home and pooped quite a lot (they are still pretty small and somewhat misshapen but it's super reassuring things are moving) right when she arrived. She is also munching on hay and pellets. The spark is back in her eye and she is active. The vet said she is very happy Beatrix is able to come home as in the beginning, things weren't looking good.

Unfortunately, with Beatrix being on so many medications (two antibiotics and two pain relief) she isn’t able to nurse her babies. She keeps looking for them and seems upset that she can’t be with her babies and they seem to miss her too. It just breaks my heart but hopefully, once she is off the meds, she can be with her babies again in about a week. Luckily, the babies have taken to syringe feeding pretty well and seem to be having normal poops too. They are also starting to munch on oats and hay. One question, I've read they need to start eating cecotropes to build immunity against bacteria. How do you suppose we feed these to them? I'm thinking of maybe getting cecotropes from another rabbit (maybe Heidi, Beatrix's daughter) other than Beatrix, because she is on medications?

Fingers crossed Beatrix is over the hardest part and things will keep improving. And, of course, that her babies continue to thrive!

Last edited:
Back