Powder and the crazy parrot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw, she's a beautiful girl.

My second bun was a neglect case and they tend to end up the sweetest little bunnies. Congrats on your new addition!

The lady who has her in foster (no rescue or shelter involved, she just didn't want to leave the bunny with someone who wasn't taking care of her) said she is a sweet natured bunny. The lady has a young daughter who can play with her. The daughter has already gotten attached, but they aren't allowed pets where they live, so I offered to keep them updated on her so the daughter can see she is OK.

I just hope Powder likes her, so he'll stop making me feel bad snuggling his mirror lol

Ha ha ha! Boy buns tend to get along best with girl buns, so that's a good start at least. :) I'm sure it will all work out.

We aren't sure if she has a name yet or not - I forgot to ask lol we are going to see her tomorrow though, I will ask then.

Boyfriend has been complaining that the rabbit made the house smelly and I couldn't figure out WHAT he was complaining about - I clean the litter box 3-4 times a day, the carpet just got cleaned with a vinegar wash / vacuumed, Powder uses his litterbox for the most part (few droppings here and there still, but I pick them up as I see them). I couldn't smell anything "bad", except a slight vinegar odor...and he couldn't pinpoint it, so we went through all the things rabbit related today/yesterday and he finally picked out what the smell was.

Turns out he thinks Timothy Hay stinks :p so I moved it all into the animal room lol I grew up around horses, so I actually kinda like the smell of hay.

What a weirdo! Timothy Hay certainly has a distinct odor, but I don't find it to be a foul odor in the slightest.

You get used to the smells associated with your pets in due time.

Yeah I know, I think it actually has a kind of pleasant fresh-cut grassy kind of smell. I think this is a city-vs-country issue... I grew up on 5 acres of land with lots of animals, so I like natural smells. He grew up always in cities, apartments, houses in crowded neighborhoods, his family pets growing up always smelled like whatever perfumey stuff the groomers put on their fur. He actually LOVES the smell of bleach, ick!

With Thanos though, we can't use harsh chemicals like pinesol, bleach etc (thankfully, cause they give me a headache) because the fumes can give parrots respiratory issues. Soo... he's getting used to my preference for more natural cleaning solutions - vinegar, citrus, GSE, etc.

I don't mind keeping the hay off the carpeted areas though anyway, it clogged our vacuum cleaner up and I had to take it apart to clean out the tubes twice cleaning it up. I really do need one of those shop-vacs you were talking about.

He also likes to keep our yard so short and "perfect" looking... it looks ugly to me lol

Really kind of sick of tornado warning sirens, they go off 2-3 times a day without a tornado. lol (ours has been going off now for 15 minutes...)

Bunny toilet... wonder if you could train them to use one? lol

The hay smells fine to me - we just bought it when we got him, so it isn't that old and it's been kept completely dry. Boyfriend is just weird, his quote was "houses are supposed to smell like bleach and pinesol" ... he also thinks lavender smells bad and cinnamon/citrus air freshener, since I offered both those solutions. :p

Well if you can train a cat to use a toilet, I suppose a bunny could.;)

Bleach and Pinesol?:yuck Ick! I rather have the smell of hay anytime, the smell of fresh hay is great!

Hehe well, if he would use it he'd probably be happy - poor bun is such a picky thing. He got DIRT on his paws yesterday and he spent a good 20 minutes cleaning them. How dare it spoil his perfectly white fur.

Yeah, I agree ... ick to both smells. I like the hay and the grass:) I like your signature btw lol

I'm with you guys. I much prefer natural smells to chemical smells (except Sharpies, I'm a weirdy that loves the smell of Sharpies).

Weell... we had a long, bad hail storm tonight. Powder hid under the bed the entire time while it banged against our windows, I thought it was going to break them for a few minutes there. Thanos curled up in my lap with his posture completely "I am scared" (crest straight up, feathers sleeked down, being as quiet as possible after a few stressed squawks). So Thanos got to stay up an hour past his bedtime, just to be sure he was calm enough to not have a night fright (tiels are prone to night terrors).

In a break between the two sizes of hail we got, boyfriend went out and got Powder some fresh grass because as soon as the noise stopped he came out sniffing where his grass usually goes. It only stopped for about 20 minutes though, so he quickly ate it and then ran back under the bed.

Now Powder is staring at me with his ears back in the position he does when he wants me to do something - he's been stretching, yawning and trying to find a comfy spot to sleep (even though the bedroom is open..) so I am guessing it means "go to bed" lol he likes to sleep on the floor by my side of the bed at night.

Getting the girly bunny tomorrow, if the lady calls us, which she is supposed to! :D

Aw, poor babies! Glad everyone is okay and the storm is over.

Can't wait to hear about how tomorrow goes! So excited for you guys!

We just got home from shopping and getting our new girl bunny. She is adorable and such a sweet rabbit! Her fur is so soft you can barely feel it, aww.

Just looking at her makes me mad at her original owners though (the ones the lady got her from). Her whiskers have been CUT, you can see the ragged marks where they were and they're all raggedy. Her eye whiskers are half broken and curled over, not sure if the curling is normal or not... Powders are straight but she's a different breed. When the lady got her from them she had stickers on her, stickers! The glue is still in her fur, matting it pretty badly. The lady tried to wash it off, but I think I might have to shave her. :s

She doesn't really have a name, my boyfriend wants to call her stickers now...

For all the mistreatment, she is the sweetest little girl. She seems young, she's very inquisitive, she came right over to the carrier on her own at the lady's house and went right in even though it has to still smell a little like Powder. She let me pet her and sniffed my hand. Right now she's munching on hay (ha, boyfriend just has to live with it in the living room) and her cage is high enough up that Powder cannot mate with her through the bars and I can watch them (but he can stand on his hind feet to sniff her if he wants).

She has moved to sitting in her litterbox... I don't think she realizes what it is yet lol

Omigoodness! At least the little girl is with you now and I'm sure she'll be so happy from here on out. Can't wait to see some pictures of her, but I know she needs some time to adjust before you go attacking her with a camera. :p

You should call her Chess because she's a broken chestnut. Lol. I was trying to think of something related to the game but I came up with nothing. :rofl:

Back