Poulin Feed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhTisLove

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the bunny world, so hopefully you will all take pity on me! I'm bringing a Checkered Giant home within the next few days, and will obviously need to find something to feed it! (I only say "it" because I haven't picked out my specific bunny yet, so no specific sex! :))

I do have all the large chain stores in my area as well as specialized pet stores, but the farm co-op that I'm a member of sells Poulin grains (which I LOVE for my horses) and they have a rabbit feed too. Has anyone used it? The percentages seem to be a bit higher than what's been suggested on various rabbit sites as ideal.... http://www.poulingrain.com

If I don't go with the Poulin, I will just run over to my other feed store and grab the Blue Seal Bunny 16, which seems to have gotten rave reviews on here! I just figured I'd check on the Poulin first, since I get a discount on it/can grab it at the same time I grab all my other grain.

Guide me! Please!

I did not locate the ingredients list.

But I am not a Nutrition Mod either.

How old is the bunny you are bringing home?

Is the bunny desexed?

What will this be a pet bunny show bunny breeder?

Answering these question will help when a more experenced members come along

What are the nutrition values? For a young rabbit you can feed a pellet that has 16-18% protein. You want as high a precentage of fiber as possible, 18% or above. Which the Poulin feed has (16% protein and 20% fibre)

Young rabbits should be free fed pellets, and fed lots of hay (different varieties if possible).

One thing to also consider is the freshness of the feed. I buy pellets are are made locally, and they are so incredibly fresh that when I open the bag, they even smell good to me. If the pellets are locally made, that is a big plus on your side. The pellets I use may not have the best nutritional values compared to more expensive brands, but I feed good quality hay with it, and all my buns are happy and healthy on it.

Rabbits and horses have very similar digestive tracts, so if your horses are doing well on their feed, then the rabbit feed should be pretty good too.

Once your rabbit reaches maturity, you can just feed a limited supply of pellets. Enough to maintain body weight and coat, and lots of fresh hays and veggies. Pellets are most important for the vitamins and minerals they provide, so to me it's not the biggest deal to feed a higher protein feed if you just feed a slightly smaller amount.

-Dawn

Back