Potty training issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbunmommy

Reaction score
Charlie is still young (7 weeks today) so Im not too concerned yet, but he seems like he will be a challange when it comes to potty training.
I bought him a corner litter box and he will poop in it sometimes, but mostly thinks its for sleeping

soooo i went out and got a different one and placed it in a different corner where he seemed to be peeing. I made this one less comfy but still nice...

turns out, he thinks its a day bed
Lol, he's an interesting little bun

boxbun1.jpg

boxbun2.jpg

It's pretty common for buns to use their litter boxes as beds.

A bun is considered litter trained when is pees only in the litter box as it's very rare to find a bun that doesn't drop at least a few poos outside the litter box.

Either hang a hay rack above the litter box so your bun has to be completely in the litter box to eat the hay or place hay in a corner of the litter box. Buns tend to potty while eating by placing the hay in a way that they are in the litter box while eating it helps them to learn that is what the litter box is for. Place any poos outside of the litter box in the litter box

If your bun pees outside the litter box then soak some urine up with the corner of a paper towel and place this in the litter box. Then clean any peed on surfaces with a mix of vinegar/water. This completely eliminates the smell of the urine so your bun will not pee there again based on smelling it's pee in that area.

Keep in mind that buns mark their territory with not just urine but also poo. Often buns will slow down the amount of poo they drop outside the litter box over time. Also when litter training you may need to restrict your buns space until litter trained. Once litter trained you can slowly allow your bun more space. You may also have to provide more than one litter box for a larger space.

We just brought home Stewart (Stewie) on Saturday, he is 11 weeks old, first time I saw him flop it was in his litter box. He is doing great with pee (100%!), hits about 75% of the time with poo but after he pottys he loves laying in the box, even though he has a nice comfy small dog crate he uses as his hiding/sleeping place. I think your Charlie will get better with his litter habits as he gets older, don't worry about his laying in the box, I hear it's common. :)

Latest posts

Back