Potty training 3 bunnies together in one litter box??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrobinsonuk2

Reaction score
Hi there. I have 3 bunnies. One is the mum andthe other 2 her daughters. I was wondering if it is possible to trainall three of these buns to do their poo and wee in one litter box whichwe have placed in the corner or would we have to get a separate litterbox for all of them? The mother is already trained but since the babieshave come she has forgotten her habits?? any tips on triaining thethree?

Thanks.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/litter.html

The House Rabbit Society site (the link above) has all the bestpointers. You can also do a search on this forum, because I'm sure thistopic has been discussed time and time again!

In a cage I think it's a bit easier training them. If they don't peewhere you have the box, move the box to where they pee. Theyare ceatures of habit to a degree and usually will pick one corner orarea for the 'bathroom'.

I have two in a pen, and have one extra large litter box and a smallerone at one end of the pen (in case they can't make it to the middle orif one is occupied when the other needs to go!) They go mostly in thelarge one. I cover the bottom of the pan with litter, and put hay ontop. They like munching/pooping/peeing at the same time. Hay in the boxseems to help.

No, Saffy - I use the pellet stove wood pellets (much like Woody Pet) and they are quite absorbant and control the odor.

I completely change the hay and litter in the tray every other day, butin-between I just scoop out the pellets that are really saturated (theyusually pee in one corner of the tray), add a few more if I have to,put a bit more fresh hay on top, and they are good to go.

They eat an awful lot of hay though! I have trouble keeping enough of that in the pans!

I think it really depends on therabbit. Like Sfritzp, I put my hay rack above one of thelitterboxes. My rabbits are caged in pairs, and both setsended up having two litterboxes in their cage. Mocha and Lokihad one until Mocha decided she would rather pee on the floor than inthe same box Loki was. Honeymoon's over!:p With Feyand Sprite, when they were in the old cage Fey would sleep in alitterbox so I put two in there so Sprite had somewhere togo. I just recently switched out their kitten-sized litterboxfor a large cat litterbox to see if it would help keep more urine inthe box. The higher sides helped and they must like the extraspace- now nearly all of the poo is in there, too. If theyall start using one box, then you can try taking one of the extras away.

Especially when you are just training them, you may need multiplelitterboxes. Clean any accidents with vinegar to remove thesmell, and if they keep using different corners then put a box in everycorner. Don't take up all their cage space though.

As for the mom, her hormones are probably having a part in her loss oflitterbox training. Keep in mind that unspayed rabbits tendto be harder to littertrain and keep littertrained. Fey andSprite are not yet spayed but for dwarf rabbits they need a lot ofaccomodation as far as litterbox size and cleaning go.

Latest posts

Back