Potty Problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warminwisco

Reaction score
We put the two 10 month old rabbits in a large exercise pen enclosure with the two cages in them as they where peeing and marking corners, doorways etc. when we gave them free roam. The area is roughly 10x5, tarped, and we let them out and watch them closely so they don't pee on the carpet. They chase and kinky and such we just keep an eye on em now.

All is good but they now will pose right next to the outside litle box in their cage area and pee right in front of us. We have chucks down otherwise they would just pee on the tarp under the 10x5 area and then walk through it. They do pee on the chucks and not just flagrantly on the tarp but really they like to back into the cage next to the outside pans and pee.

I have removed the outside pans thinking gthey will hop in their cages to pee, no luck. Any Temple Grandin of rabbits out there to tell me what they are thinking though I think it is mostly the dominant one of the 2 neutered boys? Anything to try to clean up their potty habits? What percentage of house rabbits have real good potty habits? Our last one did?

Thanks for any thoughts! Bruce June

How big are their litter boxes, what litter do you use, and do you have hay in them? Are they good about using their litter box when in their cage?

We do not have hay in large corner triangular litter box with grate they used to use regularly when we did not have the pen, the boxes in the pen area are normal cheapo cat size square boxes. Wood pellets.

The problem started I think when we let them run upstairs from our tri level. They used to hop up the stairs but the wood floors deterred them from the next level.

This am two outside square cat litter boxes, 5-6 pees all around edges of bed pad and perif for them I hope they smarten upery of boxes but not inside on the edges They are peeing much less in their cages litter box..

I guess they go back in gages at night, watch them in the pen and house. I will try them to pull the outside litter boxes and see what happens. The carpet peeing is the major goal and getting them to pee in their cage boxes like before.

They used to have free roam of the lower level a couple months ago, but now with the peeing to bad. I hope they smarten up as even the pen is way nicer than a cage all day and they like to chase and do binkies with each other in the pen.

Wow should have proof read that one. They will be back in their cages day and night when not home, too bad, the bed pads get expensive for good ones. Again the peeing is just around the perifery of the outside litter box, why they don't just hop in is the question for Temple Grandin. They are not peeing on the carpet though as we watch em closely and you can tell when they are snooping around versus running but still carpet peeing is stopped as we blocked off any dark corners and such. No more peeing on their favorite doorway we closed so they trade one area for another. Seems to be some kind of defiant thing?

It's unlikely the peeing would be due to defiance. Rabbits don't generally do it to be stubborn, but more because of hormonal issues and marking, health issues, laziness, the litter box doesn't smell right to them, it's not in the right place, or it's not set up in a way where they are comfortable using it.

A couple things you can try. It's possible they may not like the feel of the wood pellet litter on their feet. Try covering the litter with a layer of hay. It will make it softer to step on plus it encourages them to poop and pee in there while they eat. Another thing is the size of the litter boxes. If they are small size cat boxes, try the larger size. Sometimes rabbits won't use a litter box if it's too small for them to move around in comfortably.

Thanks for the help will try that. My first rabbit was so good, makes ya rethink rabbits as a pet. Maybe it is because there are 2 of them that they are so territorial but I do not have the energy or cash flow to bankroll this behavioure and if I have to keep them in cages not that much fun.

The new bedding think did not do much yet. Still love these lil guys got work with em like kids and try new thing. Ain't giving up on these lil fuzzballs ever!

My Rabbit will pee on soft surfaces, its absorbent. Rabbit pee is smelly! i've learned that i must put down puppy pads because they will always do it..lol

Well an update, we by default we started limiting the roaming range of the 2 bonded bunnies and kept them in their cages versus the steel excercise pen we allowed them to be in when we where at work.
I am happy to say they must have gotten the hint, and we blocked off all the small lil nooks they like to pee in with excercise pen fencing, and the peeing on the carpet has stopped for now. Now we just need to keep em fed so the carpet is not first on their desert list.

Thanks for all the support!!

Latest posts

Back