Potentially a very stupid question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffball

Reaction score
Can rabbits 'catch' illnesses from humans?

I know thatsome immuno suppressedpeople can get something from rabbits, but can it ever go the other way round?

I ask because my whole family has been ill, and I share my room with a bun who will obviously be breathing the air that I breathe. Also, said bun decided to munch on a straw I had been sucking through (I thought I had put it in the bin, stupid mistake). So any chance of him 'catching' my virus?

I hope I don't come out of this looking too stupid.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I don't see anything at all "stupid" about this question....I think it is an excellent question especially in today's world. Any disease that can pass from humans to animals or animals to humans is called a zoonosis. Rabies is one of the first that comes to mind. I personally caught a staph infection myself from a wild rabbit that had been attacked by a cat. I do have a list of zoonotic diseases somewhere around here. But as far as a cold virus...I don't think your rabbit can acquire that particular infection. But the direct answer to your question..yes, there are diseases that can be passed either way.

Randy

Thank you both.

That's put my mind at rest. I knew there would be some about, but I'm glad that the cold virus is not one of them.

Leaf, that looks like a great article, I haven't read it all yet, just scanned, but thanks for the link :)

Thanks Randy, and thanks for not making me feel stupid, because I did feel it asking, lol.

Thanks a lot.

Rabbits aren't known to contract the rhino virus (one of the common cold viruses) from people. However, there are other viruses that cause cold symptoms in humans that be be contracted by rabbits as well as many other viruses that cause flu symptoms in humans.

Pam

i like this thread a lot! it's good to know that nemo can't get sick when i get sick. although i like to think i have a good immune system...... :)

tracy and nemo

Guys, let's not forget that "immuno-problematic" generally means 1) having an immature immune system, 2) having an extremely stressed immune system, or 3) having an otherwise faulty immune system due to things such as AIDS, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or other equally devastating problems.

Just wanted to point that out. :D

^That is very true. But things involving immuno-suppressed stuff is key here as a member of my family takes immuno-suppressants so it's quite important here, but yes, good point.

Aaaah. Well, that's another way.

Rabbits actually don't carry some of the diseases that cats or dogs carry. Pneumonitis in cats, bordetella in dogs, cat scratch fever, toxoplasmosis, and some other diseases are quite transmissible between immuno-suppressed people and cats/dogs. Many of the risk for these diseases are resolved with adequate vaccines.

There are a few zoonotic diseases between people and rabbits, but they're mostly minimal. Encephalitozoonosis, or "E cuniculi" is technically transmissible between rabbits and humans. Pasteurella has more of an indicence, but that usually only causes conjunctivitis.

Latest posts

Back