Post spay questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1357rabbitlover

Reaction score
Bella has just got back from her spay..
And i am pretty clueless of what to do and how to treat her!

How do i hold her? I usually hold her chest and feet but i don't know if doing it this way will hurt her?

How should she be acting now, only 2 hours after her op? She is just sitting in the corner of her cage, she has eaten a bit of pellets and carrot, but hasn't done any moving other than to go to her bowls. Is this normal or does it mean she is in pain?

She didn't get given pain meds to bring home only an injection lasting for 24 hours, so how should she behave/act tomorrow when the pain meds have worn off?
She goes to the vets again on Saturday for another pain relief injection, but is this enough? I didn't realise how big the cut was until i got her home and looked properly and i'm guessing it'll be really painful!

When can she start having a little run around on flat floor (nothing to jump up on)?

She has only just got home, so shall i just leave her alone in my quiet bedroom for the rest of the evening? or how long should i leave her alone for? or should i not leave her alone at all?

SORRY ABOUT ALL THESE QUESTIONS! it's just Bella is my first female bunny spay, i've only ever had my male Buckley neutered and when he got home he was running around in his cage, eating, drinking, ect just acting normal. And i know that a spay is a more intense op than a neuter.

Thanks for all the advise! :D

Agnes just got spayed a month ago. Her cut was really small and looked like a tiny pink line?? Make sure to inspect hers a couple times a day to make sure no irritation or infection.

No jumping or running for at least 7 days...some go as high as 14. Agnes was confined to one level in her condo for 7 days. She did so well that I let have some free run after that.

Agnes just sat there too for 24 hours. Just make sure bunny is eating amd pooping and peeing. If not, that is when problems could arise because a buns digestive system shutting down is dangerous.

Picking her up will be uncomfortable. Do it as gently as possible and don't touch or put pressure on her incision.

I would leave her alone and quiet. I checked on Agnes frequently though.

When pain meds wear off she could grind her teeth, shake or even scream (doubtful) if pain is high enough. Agnes did none of this, just sat there still. Her spay went so good she was back to herself in about a day (she did have pain meds I gave her at home for 4 days though).

you might ask the vet about pain meds... seems odd they didn't send any home with you, as that's normally done with a female. I know when I got a price quote on spaying my two girls (so I'd know how much to have saved up once they were of age), painkillers to take home were included in the price estimate.

When I have a female spayed I am usually given Metacam unless I already have a bottle. Bunnies are confined to their cage for a few days. If they are laying in the cage the next day, I give the pain meds, we get the 24 hr pain shot as well. If they are on their back feet looking out, playing with toys, etc, I give no pain meds. After 3 days I will hook the fence to their house to give them a few more feet, not enough to hop & jump.

Don't pick bunny up, just sit on ground & pet bunny. I feed only hay & pellets for 2 days. Once they are pooing & peeing normal, gradually introduce greens again.

Feel better Bella!

agnesthelion wrote:
Agnes just got spayed a month ago. Her cut was really small and looked like a tiny pink line?? Make sure to inspect hers a couple times a day to make sure no irritation or infection.

No jumping or running for at least 7 days...some go as high as 14. Agnes was confined to one level in her condo for 7 days. She did so well that I let have some free run after that.

Agnes just sat there too for 24 hours. Just make sure bunny is eating amd pooping and peeing. If not, that is when problems could arise because a buns digestive system shutting down is dangerous.

Picking her up will be uncomfortable. Do it as gently as possible and don't touch or put pressure on her incision.

I would leave her alone and quiet. I checked on Agnes frequently though.

When pain meds wear off she could grind her teeth, shake or even scream (doubtful) if pain is high enough. Agnes did none of this, just sat there still. Her spay went so good she was back to herself in about a day (she did have pain meds I gave her at home for 4 days though).

:yeahthat:

Great advice!

I would call the vet and ask them to put a pain med script in the file in case she needs it,

I agree with the above posters. I would have preferred to see her sent home with pain meds, but she may be alright without them. Keep an eye on her and as long as she's eating and drinking and pooping she's likely alright.

Hi,

I work at a vet clinic that does routinely spay and neuter bunnies. We always send them home with metacam. I would call and ask you vet for some. They are painful the day after especially with a spay.

I would be concerned with using a fentenyl patch because I would be afraid they would chew it off and eat it...

I would definitely call your vet and ask for pain meds. When Sweetie was spayed she got pain meds for two weeks, which she only needed pain meds for a few days. Spays are more invasive and more painful than neuters.

Sorry i didn't reply straight away but i saw everyones posts on the day the sent them, i had commented back to Lisa's post but it's gone?.. I had to bring Bella up the vets the next day as she was not eating, drinking, pooping or peeing and started grinding her teeth really loudly :( They gave me another injection then gave me metacam to bring home with me and give daily, the next day Bella pulled 2 of her stitches out then another 1 in the carrier on the way to the vets and it bled a little, meaning she had to go back to the vets. They said her wound had healed well so there was no need to stitch again as she had inner stitches which she would hopefully not get out. They put this like bandage thing around her 'waist' but she started tearing at it so had to take it off her incase she ate it, they also gave me a head collar which i have not used, thankfully as she has not tried to pull anymore stitches out! Her wound looks really really well now! Healed so good and Bella is completely back to herself so i have now stopped giving her metacam. She is playing with her toys, standing up on her back legs :) She obviously hates being confined to her indoor cage, it's only 4ft long, and she is always digging at the ground and her hay rack and biting and pulling the bars..
Does anyone know when she will be able to have a little run around like in a small run with no where to jump up? (i have already asked this question and someone replied but i can't find it). Also when should i start bonding her with Buckley? How long should i wait? It's been a week tomorrow since she was spayed :)

I think it can take about a month in females for the hormones to be totally gone, but you could probably start the bonding process as soon as she's fully recovered as long as you're always around when they're together in case there's a fight to break up.

What dosage do you recommend? I was given Metacam but I wasn't given any instructions about administering the medicine to my rabbit. She's 3.1 lbs so less than 1.5kg.

I would call your vet and ask, it was probably just an omission on their part. They make the medicine up themselves, so the concentration of the drug in the solution may be different from what others use. It's usually given 2x a day at 0.1-0.2mg/kg of the rabbit's body weight. The generic name is meloxicam. For your bun, that'd be about .15-.3mg every 12hrs.
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Analgesics/safe_analgesics.htm

Latest posts

Back