Post spay problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry Katrina, this is obviouslyso nerve wracking for you. :nerves1Hope she's okay.

Drinking and cleaning herself are really good signs, it showsshe's not critically ill. And ifshe's pooping cecals, that may be sign of another problem,but she's not currently in stasis, which isthe normal outcome ofan anorexic bunny.

I'm curious about the Critical Care problem, as Naturestee said, it's designed to be syringe-fed. You have to put a lot of water in it and let it soak for at least 10 minutes. If you put the mixture ona flatsurface, it should be more puddle like than glob like. It should easily come out of a syringe,although with a small syringe, cutting the top off and widening the hole may be necessary.

Force-feeding a post-surgical bunny isn't easy, needless to say, it's not comfortable for them, and feeding them something they're not used to and/or don't like is a problem. The only way I can get mine eating the stuff is to spike it with something they like, like banana (or banana baby food), apple juice or even honey.

Grinding up your own pellets may work, athough they're not designed for that so the mixture is never as smooth creating more of a problem with the syringe. Best method there is using a new (or at least EXTREMELY) well-cleaned coffee bean grinder, and again, letting the pellets soak for quite a while.

Waving pieces of grass or sprigs of parsely in their faces is a trick that really works often -- you get them annoyed enough to grab it from your hand, they taste it in the process and decide it tastes good and they'll munch it down.

She should be just fine with the vet care, they know all about getting bunnies to eat, and they'll keep her hydrated, deal with any pain issues, and make sure the problem isn't a complication -- which is unlikely. One thing to keep in mind is that the Metacam takes quite awhile to work, so it could have been just that she was in pain and didn't want to eat at that time.

Please let us know how she is. :hug1

sas :pray:

My baby is home!

My mother and I went out to find me new glasses and I gave EVERYONE inthe house my cell phone number to pass on if the vet called. I had heard nothing so I called them around 5:30 and they said that she had had two syringe fulls of the critical care and nibbled on some hay. Her poos were back to normal and I could come get her.

I pickedher up about 15 minutes ago and they showed me what the critical care should looklike when done properly. They also said that the syringe was too small and have given me theone that they had cut the top off of (it was cut a lot more than I could do with mine.. when I cut mine I think I did it wrong and I managed to push the plastic together instead). I put her back in her cage and she automatically hopped around a little, peed, and than ate some hay!

I'm so happy my baby is safe and healthy. Thank you so much for all the help guys. I guess some times you just need the professionals to do it(because I sure am not a professional with this). I'm sure a lot of you guys could have handled this but it was my first time with an animal refusing to eat so I'm glad I took her to the vet.

Oh! And for more good news: the vet did not charge me for taking care of her for the few hours!

I'm just now seeing this thread. I just wanted to say that I often will mix some critical care wtih baby food and see if they'll eat it off the spoon....most of my rabbits love it that way.

In fact, before I take Miss Bea in for her spay this fall, I'm going to get her used to critical care with whatever her favorite flavor of baby food is so that she'll be used to the taste and think she's getting a treat.

Peg

Great news! Good job taking her to the vet. They do this all the time so they know all the tricks ;)Good work.

Im glad you have her home. Its always good if they dont have to stay the night in that scarey place.

Keep us posted. I'll be praying for a speedy recovery for your precious little girl.

TinysMom wrote:
I'm going to get her used to critical care with whatever he rfavorite flavor of baby food is so that she'll be used to the taste and think she's getting a treat.
Good idea TinysMom. :cool:

Katrina, whenyouhavetime,get some Nutri-Cal, for her to use. I would squeeze some out on a layer of oats for her to eat.
So inthe nextemergency, she won't make a fuss about taking it.

Hopefully things will settle down andshe will start to heal.

3yeznlu.jpg

Rainbows! :bunnydance:

Pet_Bunny wrote:
3yeznlu.jpg

Rainbows! :bunnydance:

Awwwwwwwww! Pebbles made my day! You must have got that e-mail requesting a Pebbles fix.

I'm about to head upstairs to give her some more critical care. Anyone know when I should stop giving her the critical care. I forgot to ask the vet that and they are now closed. If I see she's eating normally should I stop giving her it or should I continue until it's all gone?

P.S. I saved the picture to my computer. Will have to put it up in Katrina's cage so that she can see her friend.

As long as she's eating on her own, you don't need the Critical Care, although it won't hurt her.Just make sure her appetite is getting close to normal, she should be eating half or more of her usual good-health amounts.

Glad she's feeling better! :hug1

sas :)

That's great news! I'm so glad she's home again. I agree with Pipp, she doesn't really need Critical Care if she's eating now but a little won't hurt.

Haley wrote:
Great news! Good job taking her to the vet. They do this all the time so they know all the tricks ;)Good work.

Im glad you have her home. Its always good if they dont have to stay the night in that scarey place.

Keep us posted. I'll be praying for a speedy recovery for your precious little girl.

She has been nibbling on some hay but nothing too big. She will easily eat her treats though (no shock there). So she's doing a lot better. I gave her as much of the critical care as she could handle this morning(because I couldn't get all of what I was supposed to give her in one feeding) but she seems fine. I have an exam in 2 hours and than I go out of town for the evening but my mother will be home and I left her a note asking her to give more of the critical care to Katrina when she gets home (my mom has dealt with many sick animals before so she's really good at the force feeding. Me... not so much). She's doing okay though. A little more lazy than she normally is but she still manages to come quickly for pets when I step into the cage or run away from the critical care when I try to give it to her. She's grooming herself like CRAZY and I've been watching but it's mostly grooming more than licking and chewing on the stitchs. So I think she's good. She has to have a follow-up vet appointment on Thursday or Friday so I will let you all know what the vet has to say when that comes along. Right now though,it looks like we're out of the woods... thank god!

Thank you all so much for everything. You don't understand how much you have helped me.

Funny thing though: before she got spayed her pee was like a brownish colour. I spoke to the vet about it and she said that Katrina was very healthy and she couldn't explain the colour but that I shouldn't be too worried. Now, though, her pee is a normal yellow colour. Weird, huh? I wonder if maybe she wasn't eating enough hay before and too many pellets (so far she hasn't really gone for the pellets since her spay,only hay.. which is very weird as well because normally she's very upset that she has to eat hay). Just thought that was strange.

I don't know if I will be posting very much about the Katrina situation for a while. I was in a car accident today(when it rains it pours, huh?) and am in a little bit of pain from it.I'm fine, no need to worry. But the car is totaled and I'm just hurting a bit. Thank you guys for your support with Katrina's situation. It has meant a lot to both of us.

Latest posts

Back