Post-Spay help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkie2

Reaction score
I just got my 9 month old dwarf lop spayed last Wednesday. I was told by the vet to keep her in her cage for an entire week to restrict movement and allow her to recover.

However, in the past 24 hours Peanut has become extremely rambunctious, flipping over everything in her cage which is very out of ordinary - almost as if she just wants to go out and hop.

Unfortunately the current cage is a bit small for her (she grew so darn fast), but i ordered a pen from amazon that should come next week.

In the meantime, should i allow her to go hop around outside for a bit? Would this be dangerous because of the stitches?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, go ahead and let her stretch her legs. Just keep an eye on her. Don't let her jump up on stuff, or chew/scratch at the incision site.

I think it would be perfectly fine to let her out of the cage. I've been through many spays and have never restricted the buns. I would just not let her jump up or down off of any furniture, etc.

Jenny was fine when she got spayed, I only restricted her to her pen for 2 days(and removed access to her shelf) after that I started letting her out to stretch her legs for a few hours each day and just kept an eye on the insision, after 10 days I put her shelf back and let her out full time again. she was loosing her mind after 2 days confined to the pen, neither of us would have been able to tolerate a whole week confined lol

What I have heard vets say (and it makes sense) about post-spay activity is that you want to limit any movements where the stomach and thus the suture line will be stretched. So, extending the legs too far back and/or extending the arms too far forward can put stress on the skin of the stomach, which could cause problems with the suture. For that reason don't give her enough space to leap and bound or jump up and down off furniture or boxes--just enough space to do normal hopping around.

Back