Post op neuter question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketsMommy2012

Reaction score
One of rocket's sacs are bigger than the other one. The one looks flat but the other looks like a normal testicle before neuter. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be worried about infection?

o_O My impression was that neutering is supposed to completely remove the testes? As I understand it, castration is completely removing the testes, and vasectomy leaves them but removing the connections. And neutering = castration.

Don't quote me on that. That's just what my understanding of the process is.

Well they told me it could look like he's not neutered at first bc of the trauma and stuff but if they get bigger than normal to call. But they're different sizes and that's what's worrying me.

From wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutering#Males_.28castration.29
"In male animals, castration involves the removal of the testes"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castration#Veterinary_practice
"Castration (also known as neutering or gonadectomy) is any action, surgical, chemical, or otherwise, by which a biological male loses use of the testicles. (Orchiectomy specifically refers to surgical castration, removal of one or both testes, and chemical castration uses pharmaceutical drugs.)"

So I'm tempted to say something has gone very wrong if the testes are still there??

Again, not an expert here. Don't take my word for it.

when was your bun bun snipped? mine also had a lot of swelling on one side and not so much on the other. took about 4 days to go down. :rabbithop

Liung, I assume she means that the scrotum is swollen, not testes themselves? The scrotum stays and it just sort of shrivels up and dissapears as the rabbit heals.

It's not uncommon for this to happen when the rabbit is bothering it. If you have some concerns as it could just be post procedure swelling, or possibly an infection, it may be best to inquire with your vet.

It's probably just swollen. It's normal. As long as it doesn't get red and weepy is should be fine

I meaning the sac itself. I know his actual testicles are not there. I'm just worried about the different sizes between each of them. I think it's just swollen. I was going to wait for the 5th to give it some time to shrivel up and if it hasn't, give the vet a call. I'm hoping it's not infection. He's acting completely normal.

Ah okay, that makes sense I guess. Removing the entire scrotum would probably make the surgery more traumatic than necessary.

Latest posts

Back