Post-neuter question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CinderSmoke

Reaction score
Scribbles was neutered this past Wednesday. When can i let him out into his play area? he is eating, drinking, peeing and pooing just fine......

My boys were feeling good after 4 days. I did let my boys have a little run at 3 days though, after their last dose of pain meds. Could you give him supervised time in his play area? Just for a little while. You still have to watch boys so they don't start running around and jumping too. They still have internal stitches that need to heal, plus any external. My boys were glued externally and I could see that it bothered Dobby after a while (tightness).

Just observe. If he's doing everything else alright, a little time to explore under supervision wouldn't hurt him.

K

Not if hes going to run around. Theres still internat sutures and if they bounce or run around they have the chance to rip them and cause further damage. Best to keep them quite and confined a bit longer, though not quite as long as a girl. Even if its painful for them, they would probably still bounce off the ceiling if you let them.

Minimum 1 week being kept confined.

Wow, my Rabbit Savvy vet, who's raise rabbits on both sides (food and pet) while doing his college internship said it was OK. We had no problems.

But it's a good guiding point for all with the Minimum rest of 1 week.

All I can say, is know your bunny.

K :)

My vet said that it was ok and even beneficial to give a little supervised play time after 3 days. Scribbles had a few hours out, and did not run, binky or over-exert himself. he tore his paper ream, tossed his cup of wood beads and large buttons, groomed his plush toys and visited with the cat. I thinkhe was careful because he is not on any pain meds (my vet doesn't use them, as they can mask problems and cause the animal to feel like he can do more than he should). i'm glad that I was able to let him out for a bit, as it will help rebuild the trust we had (and that I broke by taking him to a strange place and leaving him).

CinderSmoke wrote:
My vet said that it was ok and even beneficial to give a little supervised play time after 3 days. Scribbles had a few hours out, and did not run, binky or over-exert himself. he tore his paper ream, tossed his cup of wood beads and large buttons, groomed his plush toys and visited with the cat. I thinkhe was careful because he is not on any pain meds (my vet doesn't use them, as they can mask problems and cause the animal to feel like he can do more than he should). i'm glad that I was able to let him out for a bit, as it will help rebuild the trust we had (and that I broke by taking him to a strange place and leaving him).
Good to hear Scribbles had a good time out and about. My Rabbit Vet said the same thing about making them feel like they can do more than they should and told me to watch carefully even when the boys were in the crate. But he didn't want my boys to be in pain because pain will make a bunny not eat. He'd rather them eat and stay quiet, which we did keep them quiet, then have a problem with not eating after the surgery. His info was perfect and my boys did just fine.

But I think it's the individual vet and if you feel comfortable with that vet's decisions and his way of care after surgery, it turns out just fine.

K :)

Scribbles is now completely back to his normal self. He binkied ALL OVER his play area today, tossed his cup of wood beads and large buttons so high it looked like it was raining and tried tossing his salad dish because he decided I didn't give him enough (bad mommy!).
In addition to this, he nuzzled up into my neck when I picked him up and sat SO calmly in my husband's arms when it was time to go to bed........
Now I can't wait until I can sit in his play area with him again (my walking boot prevents this for now). I love my bunny!!!!

Glad to hear Scribbles is back, feeling GREAT, and now can enjoy the rest of his life with you and your husband.

K:)

Latest posts

Back