Post neuter question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
BunBun was neutered 2 days ago and has sincerecovered his appetite and cheerful nature, but one testicle seems tohave filled up with a bit of blood. I remember this happening to mymother in laws rabbit but it had an open hole, no stitches, and theblood eventually dried up and fell out.

BunBun seems have have three stitches on each sack, no blood orirritation or redness around any of the stitches. It's just this sackfilling with blood that is worrying me. I called the vet yesterday butthe only person not too busy to talk was the receptionist and shewasn't too sure.

I can take a picture and post it up on here if needed, but I amwondering if there would be anything a vet could do to fix it anyway?Is it a major concern? When it happened with the MIL's rabbit and shetook him back down they called it "big balls syndrome" and told her notto worry and that the blood would disapear of it's own accord.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much apprecated.

Hmmm..I really am not sure on this one.

When all three of my boys were neutered, their sacs were swollen for a few days, but both were about the same.

If you think its bad, I would take him in the vet just in case. Theyshouldnt charge you for a follow up visit, and better safe than sorryin my opinion.

Glad the surgery went well though, and I'll be keeping Bun Bun in my prayers :pray:

-Haley

Thanks so much for the reply :), I've had a bitof a read around the forum and I think it's because he's been given toomuch activity too soon. It's a bit of a pain in the butt though as leftalone in his cage to rest, he doesn't eat or use the litter tray. WhenI let him out, he goes into a corner of the kitchen and pees heaps likehe's been holding it in and poops and then looks around for somethingto eat.

His appetite is fairly normal but I noticed he doesn't want to eatthings he used to eat beforehand, it seems a bit weird to me. He usedto just like his pellets, water, hay and maybe a bit of banana as atreat now and then. But now he will only eat grass, hay and bits ofmandarine and rolled oats. I saw him eat one pellet and he spat half ofit out again. And before he didn't like grass but I gave him a fewblades after the op just to see if he'd eat anything (as he wasn'teating at all) and he munched it up straight away.

Maybe you could build him a small temporary pen? Some rabbits become silly fusspots for a while after surgery.

If you're concerned, you could call the vet and ask. Mostwill talk with you over the phone, although you'd probably have to waitfor him to call you back.

The vet actually called me today to ask how hewas doing, which I thought was very nice of her to do. She said heshould be ok and no need to bring him in unless it starts to look tooswollen up with blood or blood leaks out externaly. She explained thatthey had to cut into his belly to get at the testicles as they hadretracted themselves and wouldn't come back into the sacks so it was alittle but more invasive than the usual procedure.

He gets his stitches out in two weeks so hopefully all goes well with him till then.

Latest posts

Back