Post neuter litter habits - will it get better?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enh98

Reaction score
Remi was neutered late June and continued to poop all over his xpen. He has two litter boxes in there (medium cat boxes) which are dumped daily. I put hay in each box and also sweep up stray poops and deposit them in box. When he's in the living room playing he can go 4 hours with only a poop or two here or there but when in his pen he poops everywhere. Is he marking his pen as his territory? Would he do this due to me entering it daily to sweep and clean? Just wondering if anyone has insight or tips. He's a 1 year old holland lop.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

I consider a rabbit to be litter trained when they urinate exclusively in the box. It's nearly impossible to find a rabbit that doesn't poop outside the box as they do it to mark their territory. Do you have other rabbits or animals that come near his cage that he could be marking his territory from? Can you place his pellets where he can eat them from the box? Are you just sweeping or are you using something else that may be taking his scent away?
Maybe try skipping the sweeping for a few days and see if that helps?

Thanks for the reply! He does urinate only in the box so perhaps he is litter trained after all. I generally just sweep and once a month or so scrub the floor with a water and vinegar mix. We have two dogs but they never go in the basement where his pen is. I do enter his pen daily (it's an xpen with a door) to clean and refill food and water so I guess he could be marking his territory from me. I do have a hay and pellet feeder hanging above his one box and I also put hay in each box for him to much. Thanks again for the tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

I agree! Poops happen lol :)

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Back