Post Neuter Blues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spock

Reaction score
Spock was neutered a few weeks ago. The surgery went well and there were no complications. However...

The vet suggested he wear an e-collar - he's the type to rip out his stitches. Unfortunately, Spock was Not. Happy. about it. The stress of wearing the collar resulted in him having runny poop, so he had to be out of his cage to clean up. We'd take the collar off then, to let him groom himself and have a break. However, getting the collar back on and getting him back in the cage was an all out war - my normally sweet bunny was growling and charging at me! I switched the hard collar out for a soft collar, and while that was much better he was still quite stressed. Unfortunately, this seems to have had a last impact on our bond: While he still loves pets and kisses, he now honks and grumbles at me if I try to move him or do something he doesn't like.

In addition to now being a grumpy bunny, he has also taken to chewing. Before he was totally fine out and about 24/7 - now I'm worried about my cords! I think pre-surgery he was more focused on chasing/humping/playing with the cats, and now that his hormones have died down he just wants to CHEW. He has a huge amount of toys, but seems to enjoy tossing the vacuum charger around, nibbling cords and chewing on the bed post. :foreheadsmack:

He is also nipping more - not hard, but definitely more often than usual.

Any ideas of how to redirect his chewing? He has willow and apples sticks, cardboard, toilet paper rolls, paper bags, hay, hanging treats, cat toys, wooden balls... I'm at a loss on how to redirect him.

Here he is taking his rage out on a slinky. Note that the cage is really messy because he decided to pick up his food bowl and toss his pellets.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201858653222383&l=2857055893789285237

Does he still have the collar on? Or is he done with that? To be honest I'm surprised the vet didn't just do internal dissolving stitches or use surgical glue. Most tend to with rabbits because of the fact that they are chewers and they don't do well with collars.

Perhaps give him a little more time to settle down, and work with slowly building up your bond again. In terms of the chewing, it can be very difficult to redirect, but you really need to bunny proof everything that you don't want chewed, electrical cords in particular since they pose a risk to your bunnies life and potentially a fire hazard if chewed.

Back