Possibly pregnant....?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bri13194

Reaction score
Hi everyone you might remember me as True's mommy. True was the first topic I ever wrote about as she had a head tilt. Sadly she has past since as some may know. She left behind her partner Trouble and after a few weeks I decided that Trouble was lonely and needed a friend, so I went to a shelter to look around and fell in love with 2 little babies about 3-4 months old. I checked them both while there and belived they were both girls. So I adopted them and took them home a couple days later.

I kept them seperated from Trouble since he was a boy, but kept the cages next to eachother so he didn't feel so alone. I was building a shed in the back for them and after 4 long awaited for months it is finally done. I just moved in the girls 2 days ago and Trouble yesterday. The girls are in a 3 foot hutch until I get Trouble neutered and Trouble has the run of the shed.

Well before moving the girls in I checked them again, this being about my third time checking them and they still looked like girls so I thought we were good. Well today I learned a little more about sexing rabbits and that while they are young boys and girls can look similar except for a spacing. In boys there is a space between the penis and anus and with girls they are basically touching. So now I know my brown one is a boy and my grey one is a girl. So I have seperated them, but I think I am too late. The girl's belly is rounder and firmer than both boys. I fear she is already pregnant.

I know some of you might be mad at me, but it was an honest mistake. I would absolutely not ever breed any of my small pets. I know it's risky. I am scared to death right now, I don't know what to do. I love all my rabbits, but how am I suppose to keep one girl with two boys. (once they are all fixed and this possible "pregnancy" is over) I just don't know what to do.

I brought my girl in and have her in a temporary set up until I can build a small C&C cage for her so that if she is preggers at least it's warmer inside.

What should I be looking for? Should I take her to a vet? I am not sure as I don't want to be lifting her a lot or stressing her out. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. The two bunnies were adopted in November so they are about 7-8 months old now. Before you ask yes the shelter would have fixed them for me, but I missed the deadline due to a family emergency that had me flying out to Washington. They were not altered right away as the vet there deemed them too young at the time.

It can be hard to tell genders. At that age, they are reproductively active so pregnancy is possible. 28 days after the possible mating, you can expect babies. She will make a nest of fur, so give her a box of some sort to put that in. She should do everything herself but be sure to check daily for babies and for the health of the babies once they come.

Thank you for the links. The one on nest boxes does not work so I am not sure when to give it to her. The one on how to build it worked though, but I am not handy so I think I am goung to buy an enclosed kitty litter box that seems similar to the nest box design. That way if she has them or not I can use it as a bed or something for them.

On day 26 you might have to guess sice you don't know the exact date. Moms will make a nest regardless, usually you'll see hair pulling and a haystache is what we like to call it when moms gather a bunch of hay in their mouths. When she does that you know she will have them soon. If she has them outside the box you can move whatever nest she made into the box. She will leave them there

There are websites you can buy nest boxes from and assemble them or any tractor supply or a feed store might carry them. They can either be wooden or metal. Some have wire bottoms. i like those because they give some ventilation but don't drag the box if you have those. Feet can slip though the holes

Last edited:
On day 26 you might have to guess sice you don't know the exact date. Moms will make a nest regardless, usually you'll see hair pulling and a haystache is what we like to call it when moms gather a bunch of hay in their mouths. When she does that you know she will have them soon. If she has them outside the box you can move whatever nest she made into the box. She will leave them there

There are websites you can buy nest boxes from and assemble them or any tractor supply or a feed store might carry them. They can either be wooden or metal. Some have wire bottoms. i like those because they give some ventilation but don't drag the box if you have those. Feet can slip though the holes

Ok. She has not done any hay collecting or fur pulling yet. I'll look out for that and decide when I should put it in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back