Possible to litter train a 6 week old bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jynxie

Reaction score
So at first it was a little funny (still is a bit...) but whenever Harley is out of his cage he likes to pee on his daddy (or on the bed where we sleep!) This has happened five times now. He doesn't pee on me thankfully, but I think his daddy is getting a little annoyed.

I'm not sure if it would be possible to teach him that this isn't allowed. The cage is next to our bed so he can jump in and out (when it's open, which it is when he is out) so he has access he would just prefer to pee on him/on the bed.

I have been trying to litter train him in his cage (moving his poops to his litter box) but he's not peeing in a certain corner, he pee's in random places in his cage so I'm not sure where to put that either.

I know he's young and he's going to have accidents, but he doesn't seem to even be trying to pee in his cage. I also don't know how to and if I should discipline a bun so young.

Any tips?

Lol the little guy just got the ability to poop back and your already trying to curb him. But seriously. Bucks can be a bit tricky especially before there neutered. My advice is to keep him off places that smell like people (your bed or even daddy). For some reason human smell can trigger a buns urge to pee. You most likely won't have much luck until he is a little bigger. Its asking quite a bit of a little baby. Hopefully someone can give you some good advice on potty training bucks.

I am currently fostering three bucks that are about 7 weeks old now - and they litter trained themselves in about a day. I was amazed.

They don't pee on us when we take them out, etc. - so I'm really happy. (They're going back to the store tomorrow to get homes now that they're old enough).

I figured because he is so young he'd have accidents and I agree it's the human smell because he normally doesn't pee that much in his cage... When he comes out... He'll pee like 3 times in an hour LOL.

It is easy to clean up now... But I don't think it will be so easy when he's older.

I'm really just glad he doesn't pee on me!:thumbup
Poor Stephen though. haha.

Otto was litter trained from the second he came home at 8 weeks - I just gave him a litter box and he knew what to do. He did pee on us frequently if we picked him up, but that stopped with time. He also used to pee in the carrier every single time, but that stopped after about a year (I'm assuming it was fear based peeing).

Just give your little guy time and make sure his cage and area is set up for him to succeed at litter training. Sometimes if we give them things they like to pee on (like blankets or towels), they don't realize that we don't like it.

Back