Possible side effect of ivermectin?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aira

Reaction score
Hi,
I had one 3.5 month old bunny who passed away recently. One day he just stopped eating. I went to 2 best clinics in my city as I suspsected GI stasis. One of the vets confirmed it and told me he had gasses and that this probably was caused by poor diet. Another vet didn’t do much at all. Worth mentioning that baby bunny also had mites and had done topical ivermectin for two sessions at the vet 10 days prior to GI stasis.
I also have two other bunnies who are nearly 1,5 and 2 years old. I asked the vet if I should treat them too from the mites as they didn’t live in the same room as baby bunny (wasn’t bonded yet) but sometimes get to run on the same surfaces. He said no.
3 days ago I noticed that my other 2 bunnies had dandruff’s on their ears. I decided not to go to the vet as I don’t trust them and after reading a lot of forums and articles online I applied Beaphar ivermectin myself. Today I noticed that my female bun stopped eating and just lying in her house. I even tried her favourite foods which she never say no to. It’s all familiar to me having gone through the same with baby bunny. I was suspecting it might be a side effect of ivermectin as she never had any health problems before.

Did anybody have similar situation? Please let me know if you have any advice.

P.S. I will take her in few hours to the vet if she doesn’t start eating but knwing the previous experience I don’t have much hope that they would help me.

You have to be careful with ivermectin to not overdose. Also, the Dutch breed and those with the Vienna gene are sensitive to ivermectin. We had a blue eyed white Polish that we couldn’t give ivermectin to because of this sensitivity. You should get her to the vet pretty quick if you suspect your rabbit also has this sensitivity to it.

You have to be careful with ivermectin to not overdose. Also, the Dutch breed and those with the Vienna gene are sensitive to ivermectin. We had a blue eyed white Polish that we couldn’t give ivermectin to because of this sensitivity. You should get her to the vet pretty quick if you suspect your rabbit also has this sensitivity to it.
Thanks for your reply. Are there any other options to topical ivermectin? I didn’t want to do injections as I thought topical is safer.

Back