Possible rabbits let go..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove817

Reaction score
So David's uncles friend (yeah its one of those situations) says that shes been feeding these two "wild" rabbits in her back yard. David then told me that these rabbits will just come up to here and eat out of her hand. Would wild bunnies do that? I didnt think so. It sounds to me like these are pets that have been let go, or escaped. Dave asked her what they looked like and she answered with "they look like rabbits". I am thinking about going over there and attempting to catch them. Any advice?

They could be wild rabbits that have become acclimated to human interaction from a young age, but it would be rare IMO; wild rabbits are VERY skittish and rarely tame up like squirrels and the like do. I raise orphaned cottontails, sometimes newborns, as a wildlife rehabilitator and I've never had a single one get sufficiently used to humans that it wouldn't bolt at the first chance once mature (good for release prospects of course!). It'd also be weird for two cottontails to hang around like that unless they were very young, as older cottontails are more solitary than our domestics unless mating, fighting, or young.

If they are wild though, she shouldn't be feeding them. In addition to interfering with the natural diet they need to stay healthy, acclimating rabbits to human presence and bringing them close to human development is a great way for them to get harmed or killed by people, pets, or vehichles.

If they are domestics, you can likely borrow a have-a-heart trap from your local humane society (that's the best bet...)
Get some big piles of bunny poop from Midas, some tempting veggies, and lay a trap. Bunny poops ID a "safe" spot, and act as an attractant.

If you have a dog crate/kennel, you could lure them in with some great bunny bait.

If she can stand inside a dog exercise pen, you could quickly close it around herself and the bunnies as she feeds them.

Good luck!

Back