Possible leg injury?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meeganew

Reaction score
So Saturday evening, 3 days ago, I went to bring my bun outside and before I could put him onto the ground her started squirming to jump out of my hands. I always try to crouch down when he does this in case he does manage to jump so it wont be a far drop at all. Afterwards he was acting like he hurt his left hind leg. He was able to walk fine but wasn't really hopping and also preferred just to lay in his cage. He was refusing treats for only an hour or two and afterwards his appetite has been normal ever since. The day after he still seemed to be sore, but was willing to walk over to me a couple feet or so for treats. He has been consistently eating and drinking, and using his litter box as he usually does. He is hopping more now but does still walk in between hops. Since last night he has been hopping more and more but still walking. He is also running along with hopping. No true binkies yet but he has been getting faster and faster. Tonight he's been jumping up on my bed multiple times as well. I'm not allowing him to hop down by himself though. He was also walking across the top of his cage which is a little unsteady/flimsy since its more xpen panels binder clipped on top of the pen and he didn't appear to have any issue. I'd honesty say the only difference from now and before he hurt his leg is that hes walking between hops, because appetite, activity level, and personality, and his foot seems 100% normal. Does this possibly seem like it couldve been a pulled muscle or something kinda mild?

Could be. One of our Bunny speeded to the cage and hit her leg, for the next few hours she was licking it and I could see her limp a bit, but after a few hours she "recovered". (Vet saw her since like 100x times)
Also you can check on his nails to see if those are ok.

It could be a soft tissue injury that will just heal on it's own in a day or two. However, if the limping persists I would recommend having your rabbit checked by a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
To help reduce the risk of something like this occurring again, it's usually best not to be picking up and carrying a rabbit except when absolutely necessary. A safer way is to train your rabbit to hop into a pet carrier, then transfer your rabbit that way.

Latest posts

Back