Possible injury!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genie_bunneh

Reaction score
My bunny's a mini-lop, about three months old. I've just noticed that he's guarding his right front paw. He won't put it on the floor, and any time I try to get close enough to feel if there's a broken bone he'll poop and take off.

He's still eating normally and hopping around. Should I just keep an eye on it, or should I find an emergency vet clinic?

Thanks :) NorthernAutumn is bringing me a cage to keep him in overnight so I can keep an eye on him. He know show to escape from his hutch, and doing so might make it worse.

He's not making loud grinding sounds with his teeth, and he's still eating and pooing normally. I'm hoping it's just bruised :(

Update on Aperture

He's still favouring the foot. He let me touch it and squeeze it this morning with no complaints. He ate all of his breakfast salad and is making lots of poops. I even managed to get him to eat some children's motrin (we crushed a piece of a tablet up, mixed it with a little water, and offered it to him in a hollowed out craisin.)

We've determined that there wasn't any broken bones, but there is a bit of swelling in his paw.

We took him to the vet this morning. It's a fractured leg. They're going to splint it. The vet said that since he's so young, his healing time shouldn't take more than four weeks, then a few weeks more after that for a full recovery.

So we get him back this afternoon, and he'll have a nice new playpen awaiting his return :)

So glad you got some help in getting him in a confined space, some pain meds, and to the vet. I wish you guys well with the splinting! Please keep us updated.

Back